• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

class average ??? (1 Viewer)

angel_fire

HSC
can any one actually explain how the class average of your class effects my UAI. as for in one of my classes we have one boy who never workds and never tries. is this going to effect me in any wya if our class gets a low average.

A l

HSC
N/A
miss_gtr said:
i dont think thatyour class averagehas anything to do with you overall UAI.
That is indeed the case. The class or entire school has no DIRECT effect whatsoever on your overall UAI. There can be other factors such as educational environment and behaviour associated with the class that may affect your UAI. However, one class' performance let alone the entire grade of the school has no direct effect on the UAI because you are up against the state's students.

line_backer

HSC
class average has no affect whatsoever on ur UAI. i wouldnt worry about. the performance of your peers has no bearing on you at all. i cant see how it can have any affect. the mean is an absolutely useless statistic. except when marks are moderated by the board. oh, wait a minute....it does have an affect on your marks=>UAI.

angel_fire

HSC
how does he effect it is it bad.. Like should i be panicing coz he is going to be lucky to get 10 so much for a pass. coz it is in history i am soz but no one can pass that without studying especially not this boy.

Last edited:

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
It does, it happened to my best budd last year.

Just make sure you put as many ranks and marks between you and him as possible.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If he performs significantly worse in the exam than he does in his school assessments, you might be disadvantaged.

If he performs the same, it won't matter - even if his current level of performance is quite poor.

angel_fire

HSC
thanks so much.. I am a little worried now because he always goes well in the assessments but that is it. he doesn't work in class and he doesn't study... oh well can't really change it but now at least i understand it. Thanks

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
A l said:
That is indeed the case. The class or entire school has no DIRECT effect whatsoever on your overall UAI. There can be other factors such as educational environment and behaviour associated with the class that may affect your UAI. However, one class' performance let alone the entire grade of the school has no direct effect on the UAI because you are up against the state's students.

you are very misinformed

The class or entire school CAN HAVE direct effect on your overall UAI.

angel_fire

HSC
yes i understand this now. i was not quite sure i knew it effected our state position but i wasn't aware that his mark could effect mine I always thought i was an individual. What about if everyone else is very high within the calss and he is the only low one.

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
idealistically
you all battle it out for rankings as individuals
then once rankings have been lodged with the Dept the group as a whole should work together/study to raise everyone's mark.
The group needs the top students to perform well but it also helps if u can get those bottom students an extra 5 or so marks.

Works well if you are doing a subject with only lets say 20 students at the school attempting the exam, mission impossible in English.

A l

HSC
N/A
Lwaxana said:
The class or entire school CAN HAVE direct effect on your overall UAI.
Doesn't that imply the belief that higher ranked schools would always be better for an individual?

Lazarus said:
If he performs significantly worse in the exam than he does in his school assessments, you might be disadvantaged.

If he performs the same, it won't matter - even if his current level of performance is quite poor.
So it shouldn't be the school that directly affects another's UAI, but rather the external examination right? I still don't see how someone else can affect one's UAI in terms of low marks. It should really depend on the state's performance shouldn't it?

angel_fire said:
can any one actually explain how the class average of your class effects my UAI. as for in one of my classes we have one boy who never workds and never tries. is this going to effect me in any wya if our class gets a low average.
One person shouldn't really have any significant effect on the class average let alone one's UAI. Your ranking should still be the same.

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
:confused:

school has class of 20 students sitting exam on a subject
submitted rank to the Board 1 > 20
submitted mark to the Board 97 > 36

what is that school's 97 "worth" ?

well if the top ranked student gets 97 in the HSC exam, its worth 97 (or very close to it)

if the top couple get in the high 70s for the HSC exam well then rest of the school group is effected

A l

HSC
N/A
Lwaxana said:
if the top couple get in the high 70s for the HSC exam well then rest of the school group is effected
How does that work? In what way would the school group be affected?

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
lets say you are the 5th ranked student - yr school gave you a mark of 85

but your top rank student (who had 97) only gets 77 in HSC exam
your school mark may now only be worth 70

A l

HSC
N/A
That's why you have to work equally hard or work harder for an external exam in order to maintain that top rank. Besides, the moderating process should take care of school assessment marks being too high. The marks that the school submits are not the marks that you recieve nor are they the marks that are used for scaling. They are almost always moderated. Once moderated, the assessment mark is combined with the raw examination mark.
So if the top ranked student got a moderated school assessment mark of 97, and a raw examination mark of 77, the raw HSC mark would be 87. Chances are, that the top ranked person may have had luck on his or her side during school assessments and that luck ran out when it was time for the external exams.
If a 5th ranked student in that same school got 77 for a moderated assessment mark and 97 for a raw examination mark, then the raw HSC mark would equate to 87. Chances are, that this student may have studied intensively before the external exams unlike his or her school assessments.
Notice that the raw HSC marks of 1st and 5th in that school are the same. Both your examination mark and assessment mark are important for determining your UAI. If one has low assessment marks, then he or she can push his or her ranking up by excelling in the external exam. In most cases, the moderated school assessment mark and the examination mark should be roughly similar.

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
[[Quote: Besides, the moderating process should take care of school assessment marks being too high. The marks that the school submits are not the marks that you recieve nor are they the marks that are used for scaling. They are almost always moderated. Once moderated, the assessment mark is combined with the raw examination mark. ]]

what do you think they are moderated against ???

School A 1st rank student has a school mark of 98 and external exam mark of 98
2nd rank student has a school mark of 97 and external exam mark of 99

School B 1st rank student has a school mark of 98 and external exam mark of 50
2nd rank student has a school mark of 97 and external exam mark of 48

angel_fire

HSC
thanks a lot.. I think we all should start working together as for there are only 5 of us and we are all friends. I know we are competing but if each others marks does effect ours then why shouldn't we study together. our teacher offered us a afternoon once a week after school just for history study so that might help him. Thanks greatley for all your help... who knows maybe i will bring the class down..

A l

HSC
N/A
Lwaxana said:
what do you think they are moderated against ???
A quote from http://www.users.on.net/~unix/HSCmarks.pdf
"After the examination marks have been scaled, the assessment marks for each course in each school are moderated according to the examination performance of the group of students in the school. The moderation process adjusts the assessments submitted by the school so that the mean (or average) of the group’s assessments is set to equal the mean of the examination marks obtained by the students in that group, and so that the top assessment mark is equal to the highest examination mark obtained by a student in the group. The moderation process maintains the rank order of students within their school group. It is important that the marks submitted by schools show not only the rank order of their students, but also the relative differences between them as these are reflected in the moderated assessment marks."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)