civil engineering opportunity program (1 Viewer)

mtarlo11

HSC
hi,

i just got a phone call from the faculty of engineering saying a got accepted into civil engineering opportunity program in 2006 at wollongong so im pretty stoked about that. but he said i will be doing bridging courses for 2 weeks because i didnt do chemistry or physics or extention maths (i only done general maths) and my uai wasnt high enough.

how hard are these courses and what happens if i suck at them?

and has anyone done the opportunity program and can tell me what its like?\

cheers

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
opportunity program? what is that? is it like the scholar's program or the same thing??

also, on the note of bridging courses, i am doing civil @ uow next year but didnt do chemistry, did the physics and 4U maths but no chem...does anyone think ill have many problems?

mtarlo11

HSC
its a program for people that didnt get a high enough uai and/or didnt do chem, physics, extention maths.

they put u in a two week bridging course and they make more tutoring available and help u along the way

DeanM

HSC
mtarlo11 said:
hi,

i just got a phone call from the faculty of engineering saying a got accepted into civil engineering opportunity program in 2006 at wollongong so im pretty stoked about that. but he said i will be doing bridging courses for 2 weeks because i didnt do chemistry or physics or extention maths (i only done general maths) and my uai wasnt high enough.

how hard are these courses and what happens if i suck at them?

and has anyone done the opportunity program and can tell me what its like?\

cheers
what was your uai ? and did also apply for early entry ?

the_dk_master

yeh i got a call from UOW about being accepted into mining engineering, because my UAI was what they asked for but my maths was a bit short im being enrolled in a maths enabling course while i do my studies

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
I entered UoW as an Engineering Opportunity student as my UAI just fell short of that required to enter my first preference of Photonics.

Don't stress too much over the interview, you'll meet with Assoc. Prof. Porter (Sub-dean of Engineering) and he'll look through your HSC results and talk it through with you. If he can see that you'll potentially be a hard worker, you'll be sure to gain entry; however you must be enthusiastic as to why you wish to do your elected course.

The opportunity program itself isn't as bad as it may sound. You'll be required to attend a weekly 1 hour mentoring session with a latter year student from your respective degree area (ie Physics, Civil, etc.) (You might even end up with me if I apply to do Mentoring). In addition to this, you'll enrol in Opportunity Student Tutorials for MATH141/142. The only real difference between you and non-Opportunity students will be that you will submit a homework assignment weekly; whereas they submit theirs fortnightly. The only other thing required from the Opportunity Program is that you attend all PASS (Peer Assisted Study Sessions) for Maths (and Chemistry if you are required to enrol). These sessions are very helpful regardless of whether you are in the Opportunity Program and I would have attended them regardless.

But the major thing about the opportunity program is that you are there on the provision that you will work hard. UoW is doing you a favour by still giving you admission, so in return you should put in a lot of effort in your weaker subjects.

For me, my Achilles’ heel was maths; I had only done 2 Unit HSC Maths and only scored 70%. In autumn session I scored a Pass in MATH141 (fell just short of a credit, but still not a great mark); however with work I managed to obtain a HD in MATH142 and a Distinction average overall. This was good enough to change degrees to the Adv. Hons. programme of Medical Radiation Physics (a course in which I never would have obtained a sufficient UAI for).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)