• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Civ Engo Maths and Phys at UNSW? (1 Viewer)

PJS

HSC
Hello all

Just wondering, what is the maths and physics like for civil engineering at UNSW. I wouldnt say my maths is my strongest point, but im not to shabby at it either:
2U = Band 5
3U = E3 (whatever that means...)
Physics = Band 4

Am i gonna really gonne struggle, coz ive been hearing things like you ned 4u maths or whatever to do well.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
PJS said:
Hello all

Just wondering, what is the maths and physics like for civil engineering at UNSW. I wouldnt say my maths is my strongest point, but im not to shabby at it either:
2U = Band 5
Physics = Band 4

Am i gonna really gonne struggle, coz ive been hearing things like you ned 4u maths or whatever to do well.
Lol I did jackshit in 3U and I got a pass in first-semester maths.
The stuff you learn in first-semester maths is similar to 3U and 4U but in a little more depth.

You shouldn't be worried too much about Civil, I'm doing the Civil strand subjects and you do maths common to everyone.

But apparently they assume either:
Band 6 if you only did 2U
Combined HSC mark of 100 in 2U & 3U (120 suggested)

Forget about higher maths, they assume you have a HSC mark of 190 combined in both 3U & 4U or higher.

4U will give you a greater advantage because you may already know the method which they will teach you anyway but then they will teach you the very basics needed for new topics, e.g. they'll teach you complex arithmetic right at the very beginning of complex numbers because they assume no-one knows complex numbers or heard of it

you can take either maths or higher maths.

Physics?
HSC physics wont give you much headroom in physics at uni, your maths skills are much much more important.
Uni physics is a different game.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
PJS said:
Hello all

2U = Band 5
Physics = Band 4

The fact youve been exposed to 3u methods will give you an advantage even if you didnt go too well in 3u

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
No joke when we say... Uni physics is a whole other game. Your HSC math skills will be valued much more than you HSc physics skills

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)