City driving (1 Viewer)

elisabeth

HSC
Ok, the only place I could get to go for my Ps was Ryde - I'm a Central Coast girl and don't know the area at all. I'll go down there a couple of times hopefully to practise but can anyone else who did it there or lives there offer any tips or things to watch out for? What favourite routes do they have? And are there any general tips on city driving?

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
elisabeth said:
Ok, the only place I could get to go for my Ps was Ryde - I'm a Central Coast girl and don't know the area at all. I'll go down there a couple of times hopefully to practise but can anyone else who did it there or lives there offer any tips or things to watch out for? What favourite routes do they have? And are there any general tips on city driving?
Can't you buy a few lessons with an instructor in Ryde? They know all the favourite streets the RTA likes to take you on.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
The increased traffic might scare you at first but after a couple times driving around you'll be fine. This is my experience anyway. I find city driving (Brisbane CBD) shit loads easier than say, country driving (Lismore and surrounds). Of course, Sydney is probably very different to Brisbane. I say take Shell's advice--a couple professional lessons should get you there :)

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Oh, when you take your test from Ryde - there's a stop sign when you're exiting the RTA car park that's partially obscured by trees. A lot of people don't see it and fail automatically. Just a head's up.

You could get a local instructor to take you on a practice run to familiarise yourself with the area. They'll know the test routes well and can give you tips on what to look out for.

gosh

ryde isnt really a very metropolitan area, its quite suburban with a few busy highways and side streets. some areas around the rta can be quite hilly, so you should carefully watch your speed especially when going downhill. the speed limits around ryde are quite diverse; from 50 in some streets to 60/70/80 on multi landed road. there are also a few school zones you should look out for. i was going to do my test at ryde but decided to change it to Parramatta.
the central coast is quite far away. are you sure you cant book anywhere closer?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
... said:
that kickass roundabouts in midway
That roundabout rules! I love driving around it.

Ryde streets are fairly wide and quiet, they should take you into the back roads around the RTA (which there are plently), however there are always cars parked on both sides of the roads, so you'll need to judge your distance well. They might take you for a short trip along Blaxland Road (the main road), but I'm not sure, watch out for the speed camera if they do :p

But yeah, like other people have said, you should get a driving instructor for one or two lessons though.

elisabeth

HSC
I'm moving to Germany for a year and hoped to get my Ps before I left... Ryde was the only place I could get. It's at 10:10am, so school zones shouldn't be a problem. I'm actually quite broke too (changed most of my money to euros) so lessons aren't an option, plus it's probably quite hard to get convenient bookings at this stage either.

How many lanes does this big roundabout have? Do they generally like you to go left, right or straight on?

Anyway, thanks for the tips everyone - keep em coming!

^___^
HSC
the roundabout is one lane

and it should take you at most 5 attempts, for you to know when/how to indicate at diff. points, its just that n00bs look at it and get pissed scared, when theres nothing to worry about..

hmm..as others said, definately have a drive around the area before your test..ryde can test you on really quiet street, then suddently you will be on one of the busiest roads around

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I hate the Midway roundabout. It's not even a proper roundabout. More like a jellybeanabout.

CieL

HSC
Lundy said:
I hate the Midway roundabout. It's not even a proper roundabout. More like a jellybeanabout.
lol yeh.. and i'm pretty sure it has more than 4 exits

but dw.. the instructor should tell you which exit exactly to get out of..

and why apply for Ps when you'll be in Germany for most of the time? waste of money if you dont get your green Ps before expiry

CieL

HSC
elisabeth said:
lessons aren't an option
ahahha i couldnt be bothered with lessons either

that's why before my actual exam, i sat in the passenger seat whilst my mum drove behind another L plater taking the exam eheheheh

and then when my mum drove, i looked at the roads, where they were headed

i followed about 3 ppl, losing them about halfway tho cos i didnt wanna get too close and distract them.. and they all took different roads

so you can only imagine which road you'll get picked to drive

and hey bingo! i passed first go without ever being in the asquith area!

elisabeth

HSC
Lol Ciel, that's brilliant! I may have to try that. :D

See, I just figure, I may as well try and get the reds before I go, because by the time I get back, I'll be able to get my greens. I'll still have 6 months to get them in. I don't want to get another year behind, considering most people I know are on or getting their greens now.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Its a peanut roundabout, well it looks like a peanut to me.

Its got 4 exits, and a road which you can't exit. One lane, just remember to indicate left when you leave the roundabout, cause theres so many exits.

CieL

HSC
elisabeth said:
Lol Ciel, that's brilliant! I may have to try that. :D
well.. just make sure you dont make your car too obvious.. so you dont annoy the one being examined

and that you dont have L plates on display.. pretty obvious lol

hmm.. cant think of nehting else to warn you about

but other than that

good luck! hope you pass! safe driving

*note*: remember to count to 3 (one hippopotamus, two hippo..etc) for each stop sign just to be safe, check your side mirrors every so often, make your shoulder check OBVIOUS, perfect 3 point turn, learn to park if you cant do with within 20cm from kerb (any more is just pathetic)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
elisabeth said:
I'll go down there a couple of times hopefully to practise but can anyone else who did it there or lives there offer any tips or things to watch out for? What favourite routes do they have?
I drive around the Ryde area a fair bit, the back streets are pretty quiet, but Victoria Road can get busy at times, you should slow down at the turn up around that reserve leagues place. The part of Victoria Road from Ryde to West Ryde is fairly easy, most of it is downhill and nothing hard at all. Don't forget that obscure STOP sign right outside the RTA.

CieL

HSC
Riviet said:
The part of Victoria Road from Ryde to West Ryde is fairly easy, most of it is downhill and nothing hard at all.
downhill.. watch you speed.. those hills make you gather speed pretty fast

elisabeth

HSC
Fair enough... thanks everyone heaps, I'm gonna go a practise there tomorrow (hopefully) and maybe I'll follow a learner doing their test too :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)