Circle Geometry (1 Viewer)

taggs-sasuke

HSC
Hello...

I have no idea how to prove the part in BOLD:

O and C are the centres of two circles which intersect at A and B. (AB is the common chord.)

Prove triangleOAC is congruent to triangleOBC

Prove angleAOZ is equal to angleBOZ

and hence prove that the line of centres OC bisects the common chord AB at right angles.

Can someone please help me?

I'd be really grateful.

Thanks in advance. :)

I have ANOTHER question.

Two concentric circles whose common centre is O are cut by a third circle whose centre is C. The common chords are AB and PQ. Prove AB is parallel to PQ.

Thanks

Last edited:

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Hello...

I have no idea how to prove the part in BOLD:

O and C are the centres of two circles which intersect at A and B. (AB is the common chord.)

Prove triangleOAC is congruent to triangleOBC

Prove angleAOZ is equal to angleBOZ

and hence prove that the line of centres OC bisects the common chord AB at right angles.

Can someone please help me?

I'd be really grateful.

Thanks in advance. :)

I have ANOTHER question.

Two concentric circles whose common centre is O are cut by a third circle whose centre is C. The common chords are AB and PQ. Prove AB is parallel to PQ.

Thanks
Is Z where AB intersects with OC?

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Hello...

I have ANOTHER question.

Thanks
I will just do this one quick, if you dont understand im happy to elaborate.

*note: when i wrote the similaritys of the triangles (by SAS) i used the parallel symbol because i didnt know the code for the symbol for similarity
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Last edited:

taggs-sasuke

HSC
I will just do this one quick, if you dont understand im happy to elaborate.

*note: when i wrote the similaritys of the triangles (by SAS) i used the parallel symbol because i didnt know the code for the symbol for similarity
No, I do understand. Thanks. :)

P.S. There are a few typos (for yourself kurt.physics and those who are viewing this solution).

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
No, I do understand. Thanks. :)

P.S. There are a few typos (for yourself kurt.physics and those who are viewing this solution).
I just read over it, there are so many! I fixed them up by the way. Sorry for that, it must have made it really hard to understand :S I had to write it really really fast because i had to go to dinner :)

gurmies

Drover
HSC
To be honest I do as well, except I hate drawing the diagrams myself. Provide a diagram for me and I think I can do most of them xD

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
It is a pain in the arse. There are so many ways to find each solution, and it gets confusing :S

taggs-sasuke

HSC
I just read over it, there are so many! I fixed them up by the way. Sorry for that, it must have made it really hard to understand :S I had to write it really really fast because i had to go to dinner :)
Haha.

Don't worry, it wasn't.

Woteva636

HSC
It is a pain in the arse. There are so many ways to find each solution, and it gets confusing :S
Yeah, its like the more you know the less you know, because there's more ways to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)