circle geometry terms. (1 Viewer)

cj_bridle

HSC
Okay i just wanted to make sure this is right...

The four corners of a cyclic quadrilateral are said to be concylic points?

so the quadrilateral is called a cyclic quadrilateral. The points are concyclic?

Is that right...?

tabbi_neubeck

minus the neubeck part
HSC
Yeah that's right!
If a quadrilateral is cyclic, it means that all four points (hypathetically) lie on the circle. Therefore the four corners are said to be concylic.

Hey just a querry, do you have all that many problems remembering all the different properties and their proof for this circle geometry stuff?

cj_bridle

HSC
thanks! i was just clearing up the two terms..

Funny you should mention that.. today i created a resource for BOS that helped me to remember theorms.. it's a desktop background for my PC that has all theorms on it. Everytime i go on my pc i stare at the theorms :p (my version of the toilet door lol)

heres a link because it isnt on BOS yet: http://members.optushome.com.au/xerox/mathsbackground.jpg

the resolution is 1024x768 (i suggest u use that resolution on your PC otherwise u wont be able to read anything)

hope it helps.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
tabbi_neubeck said:
Yeah that's right!
If a quadrilateral is cyclic, it means that all four points (hypathetically) lie on the circle. Therefore the four corners are said to be concylic.

Hey just a querry, do you have all that many problems remembering all the different properties and their proof for this circle geometry stuff?
Ever heard of Kumon?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Oh, and I personally forget geometry as soon as I learn it. Never happens with trig or calculus or algebra or other maths. *sigh*

cj_bridle

HSC
unfortunately most mathematicians arent visual learners... why geometry seems harder for the mathematical minds.

kpq_sniper017

cj_bridle said:
unfortunately most mathematicians arent visual learners... why geometry seems harder for the mathematical minds.
if mathematicians aren't visual learners, then what are they???
for me personally, i generally don't learn visually. i often find things easier to remember when i hear them. but the by far the most effective method of memorisation for me is understanding the stuff. coz then u don't need to "memorise". then, all u have to do is apply it.

kpq_sniper017

Slide Rule said:
Oh, and I personally forget geometry as soon as I learn it. Never happens with trig or calculus or algebra or other maths. *sigh*
what are ur least favourite topics in maths??

for me, my least favourite would definitely have to be probability. and closely followed by euclidean & circle geometry.....aarrgghh!

it seems that a lot of the guys i know and have talked to have similar dislikings when it comes to maths topics....is there any scientific explanation for this???

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
cj_bridle
i'm a visual learner and so are most of the people in my class, if anything its the opposite, because maths is a visually based subject.

pcx_demolition017
what are ur least favourite topics in maths??

for me, my least favourite would definitely have to be probability. and closely followed by euclidean & circle geometry.....aarrgghh!

it seems that a lot of the guys i know and have talked to have similar dislikings when it comes to maths topics....is there any scientific explanation for this???
i hate applications of series, i.e. loan repayments etc all that useless stupid shit...

kpq_sniper017

Li0n said:
i'm a visual learner and so are most of the people in my class, if anything its the opposite, because maths is a visually based subject.

i hate applications of series, i.e. loan repayments etc all that useless stupid shit...
lol.
i don't mind doing that sort of stuff (loan repayments etc), but it's just the hassle of writing out everything from first principles that's the pain....i guess it is for most people.
*it might be useful if u do actuarial studies though :)

btw. when u say ur a visual learner, do u generally remember things drawn on the board (diagrams etc) as opposed to what the teacher says?

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
pcx_demolition017 said:
lol.
i don't mind doing that sort of stuff (loan repayments etc), but it's just the hassle of writing out everything from first principles that's the pain....i guess it is for most people.
*it might be useful if u do actuarial studies though :)

btw. when u say ur a visual learner, do u generally remember things drawn on the board (diagrams etc) as opposed to what the teacher says?
lol, i have 0 listening skills, i only learn when something is on paper and in arial font :p. But i think it's important to develop your visual learning skills if your keen in maths because it makes cramming, self-teaching etc all much easier.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lol, circle geo = do a shit load of questions.
Some people have a natural ability to "see" the solution, some don't. It can be acquired, imho. Do heaps of questions. Good thing about circle geo is that each question (the easier ones anyway) takes like 5 seconds. And the easier ones are all you need to learn the theorems off by heart.

not really learn them by heart, its just a concept. You get the concept, and thats it. Don't have to memorise anything.

and I disagree. Mathematics isn't really a visual subject. Your mathematical minded, or your creative minded. Two different things. You get people who are centre brained (like me, kinda), but generally you'll notice people doing like 4u english and no maths, or 4u maths and 2u english. Also, the guys who do 4u maths tend to do physics, 2u eng, and usually have another science or software (or similar).

The english guys tend to do art, 4u eng, history and sometimes languages.

*shrug*
its a fact, people are left brained, right brained etc. Most mathmaticians are NOT visual people, as such. And by mathematician I mean guys who love algebra bashin, and more abstract forms of maths.

but remember, thats my opinion. :)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
im weird i like to do maths geometrically.. lolz

to me applications of series is the biggest load of shit... it shudn even b in 3unit

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
:) same same Ryan. I'm not all that mathematical minded, but i'm fairly hokayish at it.

but when I do use maths, I tend to use diagrams etc.
eg perms and combs, I just draw up boxes and do it in my mind. lol, to me it seems logical, but teacher's usually want "working out". :-\
although my logic usually seems to fail me when I do the really hard perms and combs. :-S

lol

kpq_sniper017

Grey Council said:
lol, circle geo = do a shit load of questions.
Some people have a natural ability to "see" the solution, some don't. It can be acquired, imho. Do heaps of questions. Good thing about circle geo is that each question (the easier ones anyway) takes like 5 seconds. And the easier ones are all you need to learn the theorems off by heart.

not really learn them by heart, its just a concept. You get the concept, and thats it. Don't have to memorise anything.

and I disagree. Mathematics isn't really a visual subject. Your mathematical minded, or your creative minded. Two different things. You get people who are centre brained (like me, kinda), but generally you'll notice people doing like 4u english and no maths, or 4u maths and 2u english. Also, the guys who do 4u maths tend to do physics, 2u eng, and usually have another science or software (or similar).

The english guys tend to do art, 4u eng, history and sometimes languages.

*shrug*
its a fact, people are left brained, right brained etc. Most mathmaticians are NOT visual people, as such. And by mathematician I mean guys who love algebra bashin, and more abstract forms of maths.

but remember, thats my opinion. :)
look at my subject combos in my sig. and i think u might be stumped as to whether i'm left-hemisphere or right-hemisphere oriented (maybe i'm off-centre slightly towards maths??)

as for circle geometry, sometimes i can picture the solution in my head and i feel good in the exam coz i know i can write it immediately. on the other hand, ones that i can't do annoy me and sometimes i don't get them at all.

same goes for permutations and combinations. i'm hardly ever confident that my answer is right....i always have to look at the solutions before i'm sure my answer is right. i dunno if this goes for other guys, but my logic doesn't work too well when it comes to these questions. i can usually only do the ones which are similar to ones i've encountered before. as for the rest.....i often don't get the answer (but they seem understandable when i look at the solutions). :confused:

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
pcx_demolition017 said:
look at my subject combos in my sig. and i think u might be stumped as to whether i'm left-hemisphere or right-hemisphere oriented (maybe i'm off-centre slightly towards maths??)

as for circle geometry, sometimes i can picture the solution in my head and i feel good in the exam coz i know i can write it immediately. on the other hand, ones that i can't do annoy me and sometimes i don't get them at all.

same goes for permutations and combinations. i'm hardly ever confident that my answer is right....i always have to look at the solutions before i'm sure my answer is right. i dunno if this goes for other guys, but my logic doesn't work too well when it comes to these questions. i can usually only do the ones which are similar to ones i've encountered before. as for the rest.....i often don't get the answer (but they seem understandable when i look at the solutions). :confused:
Thats why you >> don't << do perm/comb questions from cambridge :), they'll kill ya !

kpq_sniper017

Li0n said:
Thats why you >> don't << do perm/comb questions from cambridge :), they'll kill ya !
lol....too right.
but then again, they are good practice.
i did a couple from the extension section and a couple of them confused the hell outta me. but those ones are good for ext 2 students i guess.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
pcx_demolition017 said:
lol....too right.
but then again, they are good practice.
i did a couple from the extension section and a couple of them confused the hell outta me. but those ones are good for ext 2 students i guess.
I don't bother with that extension section not just because its called extension, but because it makes no sense to me whatsoever :)

cj_bridle

HSC
Li0n said:
I don't bother with that extension section not just because its called extension, but because it makes no sense to me whatsoever :)
i hear ya buddy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)