Circle Geo help (Super hard) (1 Viewer)

inedible

HSC
Two circles touch internally at A. The tangent at P on the smaller circle cuts the larger circle at Q and R. Prove that AP bisects (Angle)RAQ.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: This question is question 28 on page 18 of New Senior Mathematics, 3U by Fitzpatrick

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Two circles touch internally at A. The tangent at P on the smaller circle cuts the larger circle at Q and R. Prove that AP bisects (Angle)RAQ.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: This question is question 28 on page 18 of New Senior Mathematics, 3U by Fitzpatrick
Unfortunately I don't know how to do a diagram ....... so I'll just have to describe.

Draw the 2 internally touching circles. Choose any reasonable point P on the smaller circle and draw the tangent RPQ. Draw tangent at A and let this intersect QPR produced at T. Draw the lines AQ and let this intersect smaller circle at S........ Draw PA and AR.

Let angle SPQ = @ and angle RAT = & and angle APR = $.

.: by alternate segment thm, angle SAP = @ and angle AQR = &. For triangle APQ,
angle APR = $ = angle QAP + angle AQP (ext angle of triangle = sum of int opp angles)

i.e. $ = @ + &

Since TA and TP are tangents from an exterior point T to smaller circle TA = TP

.: angle TAP = angle TPA (= $) (base angles of isosceles triangle)

.: angle TAR ( = &) + angle RAP = $ = @ + &

.: angle RAP = @

.: angle RAP = angle PAQ (= @)

i.e AP bisects angle RAQ

QED

You can replace the 3 angles @ & and $ with some suitable Greek letters like theta, phi and psi to make it easier to follow the proof; don't know how to access these Greek letters.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)