Chromosomes (1 Viewer)

beautiful bethy

HSC
i've been looking around, but i need some help.

Question: Describe the chemical nature of chromosomes and genes. (Not the actual elements that it is composed of, but more importantly, the molecular compounds of a chromosome and how they interact to form the structure of a chromosome and a gene)

The marking guidelines say for this question:
(and this is what i thought)
  • Name the two main molecular compunds chromosomes are composed of. DNA 40% and protein 60% (histone????) unsure of this one, i think i'm missing something important
  • Explain how these two compounds interact to form a chromosome ?????? has this got to do with the charge of the histone and protein???
  • Identify which of these molecules are responsible for inheritance DNA
  • Describe how the 'molecule of inheritance' is made of three main sub units
  • Describe the basic idea of how a single gene is defined Short length of DNA
So far this is all i have been able to find , and i am having trouble getting my head arround it all, because basicaly we are teaching ourselves this dot point. If anyone has some links or pictures that would help me understand that would be really appreciated!!!!
:wave:

tennille

HSC
Chromosomes consists of DNA, histones and non-histone proteins.

Each chromosome consists of a single molecule of DNA. The DNA is wrapped around the histone core octamer to form nucleosomes. The nucleosome is compacted into a structure called a 30 nm fibre.

The three main subunits of DNA include the base (A, T, G, C), phosphate and sugar (picture featured below). DNA consists of repeats of the 3 subunits, with different bases.

Gene: A gene is an ordered sequence of nucleotides located in a particular position on a particular chromosome that encodes a specific functional product.

If you go to www.google.com and type in "chromosomes", "structure of chromosomes", etc, there should be plenty of information.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)