Christmas casuals and holidays (1 Viewer)

iPhets

HSC
Hey everyone!

I have a group interview coming up for Forever New (for a christmas casual position) and I was just told by my mom that she had booked a holiday for us to go overseas to meet the rest of my family and celebrate CNY together.

The problem is, the application did say that their christmas casuals were required to work till late January so I'm thinking this would affect my chances by quite a bit. And not to mention I already have a casual job (I can talk to my manager to reduce my shifts for the new job though) so I'm already disadvantaged compared to other people who have no plans or jobs for the summer.

What should I tell the interviewers or should I just tell them after I am hired? I really want this job so I'm a little worried here :(

Edit: Whoops I forgot to say that my holiday would be from around the 14th of January and will go for about 2 or so weeks..

Last edited:

addicts

Officially Insane
HSC
It's highly unlikely that you would get the job if you're going away.
if you really want the job, then go to the interview but be honest and tell them you're going overseas( I had a friend who lied about this once, and when they found out she was going away they fired her anyway).

Also if you don't mention your holiday plans and get the job and then tell them about it, well you've just ruined your chances at working there again, or even being hired as a casual after christmas.

imo your availabilities will be limited because of your current job ( a lot of christmas casuals say they can work like 7 days a week), you already have a job (so i'm guessing your not in desperate need of cash), and you're going overseas (so jealous!). If I was you, I'd just wait till next year.

iPhets

HSC
Aw crap, I was in a rush and didn't have the time to check this thread before I went :(
I asked several other friends and they all agreed that I just come up with an excuse when the time comes... so I didn't say anything about it :(, but I did mention that I have another job.

I'm not in desperate need of cash but I'm not exactly happy with my current job (been working in hospitality since forever..) so I was hoping I could get some retail experience while I have time in the holidays.

By the way, may I ask which store your friend applied for and when abouts did she tell them she's going overseas?

Thanks for the speedy reply though! :)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Hey everyone!

I have a group interview coming up for Forever New (for a christmas casual position) and I was just told by my mom that she had booked a holiday for us to go overseas to meet the rest of my family and celebrate CNY together.

The problem is, the application did say that their christmas casuals were required to work till late January so I'm thinking this would affect my chances by quite a bit. And not to mention I already have a casual job (I can talk to my manager to reduce my shifts for the new job though) so I'm already disadvantaged compared to other people who have no plans or jobs for the summer.

What should I tell the interviewers or should I just tell them after I am hired? I really want this job so I'm a little worried here :(

Edit: Whoops I forgot to say that my holiday would be from around the 14th of January and will go for about 2 or so weeks..
If you tell them afterwards they will fire you anyway. The job descripition required you to work during dec-jan and if you lie about that well they can sack you

addicts

Officially Insane
HSC
Aw crap, I was in a rush and didn't have the time to check this thread before I went :(

By the way, may I ask which store your friend applied for and when abouts did she tell them she's going overseas?
My friend applied to bankstown... maybe liverpool/parramatta/roselands?? not 100% sure.

she told them in her first week, probs 3rd shift or so.

iPhets

HSC
@powlmao: yeah i guess thats true. i didn't get the job anyway so :p doesn't matter now
@addicts: oh wow ok. thats pretty early.. i thought they would be a bit more lenient about it if someone gave them notice wayyy in advance.

thanks both of you :) i'll keep what you both said in mind for future job applications :)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
@powlmao: yeah i guess thats true. i didn't get the job anyway so :p doesn't matter now
@addicts: oh wow ok. thats pretty early.. i thought they would be a bit more lenient about it if someone gave them notice wayyy in advance.

thanks both of you :) i'll keep what you both said in mind for future job applications :)
:( poor thing

You can alway try again later.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Just don't tell them? Say your grandma fell extremely ill and you had to go visit her in [insert country name here]. End of story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)