Choosing the right uni... (1 Viewer)

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
Bear with me guys, I'm aware that there are several threads on this topic, so don't tell me to search.

My HSC is this year, the highest i can probably get (cause of assessments) is the high 70's, which is what I'm aiming for. Which uni is the best in terms of programming, and also would programming appear more frequently in a B.I.T or a B.CompSC? Do you guys think i can get in to a good uni with a 70-80 uai? I want to go to Macquarie uni, but thought i'd ask you guys just to make sure.

Thanks.

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
Forgot to mention that... i don't do maths. No, not even general. But I'm still really good at computers, i know some programming (vb6), and how to set up a network, etc...

HSC
aero135 said:
Forgot to mention that... i don't do maths. No, not even general. But I'm still really good at computers, i know some programming (vb6), and how to set up a network, etc...
Too bad for you, there are more maths courses in the first year of uni than computing courses.

Do IT, because you won't be able to do compsci.

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
I see... so, why not? is compsci more maths oriented? I can do maths, was 3rd in my school back in yr 10...
Also, what exactly does IT involve, because if its anything like IPT then screw it. I thought IPT was going to be programming, flash/photoshop, more practical than theory - boy was i wrong... is IT to do with business computing? If not, what exactly...?

jonaxiang

HSC
I am also wondering what is the most suitable course i should put as 1st preference. Currently i only do 2 unit maths but im kinda abysmal with it due to my iddiotic focus on SDD and IPT work and projects:(. I tend to like IPT a lot more than SDD as i am interested in information systems and networking side of computing and i dont like the programming element except for the SDD theory like algorithms and etc...

Would the UNSW B Science (Info Systems) be a good degree for that sorta stuff cause it looks like a Information Technology based degree even though its under the business faculty. As well as that im also considering USYD's B Comp Science and doing Info systems as a major so i wont need to do any furthur programming past the first year. Any feedback would help :)

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
The info sys degree at UNSW appears to be balanced, however some of my friends who do business data management find the course to be incredibly dull
We're programmers though. Programmers generally find project management & information systems dull, boring and stupid.

And yes, it's not difficult, or fun, or challenging. I owned the bdm exam, with no study, and when that's possible, you know that the course epically fails.

Programming at university has a lot to do with mathematics. And you are forced to take a lot of maths. Well...not as much as someone doing a maths degree, but you know.

aero135 - year 10 maths means squat. Nothing you will do in years 11 and 12 is even related to year 10. Well, it's related, but it will be exponentially harder.

By way of example, I remember that in year 10, I rather sucked at maths, and there were a ton of people who beat me on tests (in fact most of them did), but by the end of year 12, most of these people were doing 2unit or general, while I was doing 4unit, without drammas.

So really, year 10 and below maths means nothing. You will learn more maths in years 11 and 12 if you do ext2 than 10 times what you learned in your entire life. I mean, I literally had 20, 192 page notebooks for maths, for years 11-12.

And university maths goes even beyond that, so let me assure you, you stand no chance.

IT will be fine I'm sure, as long as you satisfy the pre-requisites.
Information Systems is easy, and if you like project management type stuff, you will surely like it.

But depending how good you are at programming, if you can't do the maths courses at university, you won't be able to do that degree.

Last edited:

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
jonaxiang said:

Would the UNSW B Science (Info Systems) be a good degree for that sorta stuff cause it looks like a Information Technology based degree even though its under the business faculty. As well as that im also considering USYD's B Comp Science and doing Info systems as a major so i wont need to do any furthur programming past the first year. Any feedback would help :)
At usyd, the minimum you can get away with (in the BCST, B IT and B sc (major in computer science or information systems) is 2 programming subjects in first year and 1 programming subject in 2nd year (well it's actually a databases subject, but you learn about how to make some basic client-server programs). All these degrees need at least 12 credit points in first year maths (4 maths subjects) and a second year maths subject.

moar info about usyd's stuff here:
http://www.it.usyd.edu.au/current_students/undergrad/tables.shtml

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Information Systems - 3979 run by the school of business still needs MATH1131 or MATH1141 and 1231 or 1241 in 1st year.

looks like the same as comp sci, -discrete +some INFS & ACCT

* ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
* ACCT1511 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1B (6 UOC)
* COMP1911 Computing 1 (6 UOC)
* COMP1921 Data Structures and Algorithms (6 UOC)
* INFS1602 Info Systems in Business (6 UOC)
* INFS1603 Business Data Management (6 UOC)

And ONE of:

* MATH1131 Mathematics 1A (6 UOC)
* MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A (6 UOC)

And ONE of:

* MATH1231 Mathematics 1B (6 UOC)
* MATH1241 Higher Mathematics 1B (6 UOC)

So either way, you need to learn some maths.

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
Thanks to all who replied.
Also, is IT very focused on information systems and the flow of data, like IPT? Cause i hate that. And for the maths part of compsci, if i do maths at uni what kind of maths will be involved? I am willing to take maths if its not above 3 unit level.

Thanks

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
So, that means i'll have to do maths for the first year only, for compsci?
Also, a bridging course... what does that involve?
Sorry for all the questions, i'm new to all this, and i want to choose the right course... though ive heard transferring courses at Macquarie is easy.

edit: possible to major in programming if i do IT?

Last edited:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
1st session maths (you still need 2nd session) is okay. sure its hard.. but if you can do 2u okay then you should be able to pass it.

if you haven't done 2u at school, then you will really have some troubles. you will need to learn it sometime. mainly the integration and differentiation, log, e, limits..

in the 1st session maths course you do calculus and algebra. the algebra part doesn't need any (or at least not very much) maths above year 10, most of it is new. but you still need to work hard to understand it.

the calculus part just seems to add little bits on top of hsc calculus.

HSC
aero135 said:
So, that means i'll have to do maths for the first year only, for compsci?
Also, a bridging course... what does that involve?
Sorry for all the questions, i'm new to all this, and i want to choose the right course... though ive heard transferring courses at Macquarie is easy.

edit: possible to major in programming if i do IT?

You'll definitely need to step it up if you don't have atleast a 2unit math background.

Yeah, Maths first year only for compsci @ UNSW unless you want to take it further.

The bridging course is a good idea, but keep in mind that it's all about getting a solid grasp of the material and being ready for
first year maths.

The truth is that the material at uni will be presented to you at light-speed. It would be in your best interest to get familiar with a few HSC maths books ( during the summer after your HSC)before Uni classes begin next year. Not all the topics will be relevant. You'll have to know Calculus, integration up to 4 unit.

Last edited:

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
If its above HSC 2 unit maths, i doubt i can do it, haven't done maths for 2 years... though i think i would prefer compsci over IT, sounds more interesting. Can i major in programming if i do IT?

HSC
aero135 said:
I am willing to take maths if its not above 3 unit level.
Mathematics 1A shares a lot of content with highschool 4unit maths, so if you don't want to do anything above 3unit, then you wouldn't want to be doing the IT program either.

I haven't done Mathematics 1B but I assume it's harder still, and builds up on the 4unit + additional stuff from 1A.

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
I don't see why programming requires so much maths - vb only requires basic maths, (though its very basic, i know...) and i'm naturally good with computers, i think i would be able to do Java, C, etc. so long as i work hard.
If i can't do compsci, or IT, i'm going to have to think of something else.

edit: what about games development? more maths involved?

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Mathematics 1A shares a lot of content with highschool 4unit maths, so if you don't want to do anything above 3unit, then you wouldn't want to be doing the IT program either.

I haven't done Mathematics 1B but I assume it's harder still, and builds up on the 4unit + additional stuff from 1A.

Yes, thats right...but I still maintain that the 4unit HSC course is probably more rigorous and challenging than any first year maths course.

The good thing about first year maths at UNSW is tha the questions for the most part are standardized, meaning that they repeat the same stuff year after year. You just have to look for the trends and follow suit.

Maths 1b was definitely not easy since a lot of the Algebra component was new and unfamiliar. I found it hard but not impossible to keep up even though I was a decent (read:great 4 unit HSC student).

HSC
aero135 said:
I don't see why programming requires so much maths
I used to think so too. Then I started to change my mind. After doing one computing course at unsw, I now realise that programming (in fact all computing) is but a subset of mathematics.

Pretty much every task and project and many labs and practically everything this semester required good knowledge of maths.

aero135 said:
vb only requires basic maths, (though its very basic, i know...) and i'm naturally good with computers, i think i would be able to do Java, C, etc. so long as i work hard.
First of all, VB sucks. Second of all, it's not the syntax you should be worried about, it's the logic, and making complex programs, which require complex mathematical formulas and algorithms and such.

aero135 said:
edit: what about games development? more maths involved?
A lot.

Laphonso-Ellis said:
Yes, thats right...but I still maintain that the 4unit HSC course is probably more rigorous and challenging than any first year maths course.
It's not more rigorous, it's a lot more detailed and you get a lot more practise. Effectively, in theory, you are learning the same stuff, except you will understand it 10 times better having it done in highschool, as opposed to university, and you will be able to do even the hardest questions after HS, while university generally expects you to do the general cases.

Doing highschool 4unit math is a good thing, in fact it's crucial I would say. I would absolutely hate to not have done 4unit, and then do 1A. Sometimes the lecturers spent half a lecture or less covering something which we spent a week on in highschool. Who do you think will have a better understanding of the topic, someone who has done it in highschool already or someone who hasn't?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
darkwolfzx said:
I never did IPT, only SDD, but InfoSys/IT is similar to IPT, while SDD is similar to computer science. Let me also give you some advice on math:

I never totally liked maths, I was good at 2 unit but 3 unit was beyond me because I cbf to study for it at the time. When uni began I had no choice but to take up a bridging course in order to gain competency in 3 unit math. From there on 1st year maths has built directly upon what they have taught me. Sure, I still don't like maths that much, but I know that its only 1st year that I'll have to contend with. From there on I can choose my electives and it should be plain sailing.

I have a friend doing mining engineering. He only did gen maths at school. But the strange thing was he wanted to do this engineering, even though he had to do the same level of maths as we did. He has hit his head trying to pass the bridging course, and is trying to pass first year maths with us. Nonetheless, if you want to pass and seek help, the lecturers will not rest until you understand what you want to understand.

To be honest, first year math at uni makes 2unit at high school seem as easy as adding 2 and 2 together. IT at UTS just requires 2 unit as a prerequisite, you still do programming there but not in the same way as we do.
excellent.
will hassle my lecturer(s) until i am confident i can get a HD for the course.

edit: i did shit in 3 unit and didnt take a bridging course and i was able to do many math1131 questions but the exam was just a killer. absolutely a violation to what i have learnt.

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
Next semester me and my friends will be doing higher data structures and algorithms. We will be playing with lists, manipulating them, learning how to balance them, turn them into trees. My tutor has told me that discrete will play a role in this course alone.
Oshi-

Btw. What are you going to do since you haven't done it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)