Choosing of subjects? (1 Viewer)

Ballinnn

HSC
Hi guys, i recently received a offer to Economics at USYD. I was thinking about hopefully transferring to commerce after the first year, my questions are:
How difficult is it to transfer?
What subjects cross over from economics to commerce?
Will the electives i pick such as physiology/commercial law impact my employment drastically in the future if i do stay in economics?

rope

HSC
N/A
70+ WAM should be safe (so in between credit and distinction)
From a quick check online, BEc people can do BUSS1001,1002,1030 (they're all core commerce units). You also have access to any major from the business school so you can start on those units.
More diversified = more interesting, so it'll only help, theoretically.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys, i recently received a offer to Economics at USYD. I was thinking about hopefully transferring to commerce after the first year, my questions are:
Will the electives i pick such as physiology/commercial law impact my employment drastically in the future if i do stay in economics?
Nope.

What majors would you do if you got into Comm?

ACKAA

HSC
It really depends on your ATAR if you plan to transfer after your first year coz USYD do 50% ATAR 50% uni marks.

In terms of crossing over subjects you will need to do ECON1001 (Introductory Microeconomics) which can be credited on your transcript as BUSS1040 (a compulsory B Commerce subject). I also recommend taking ECMT1010 in your first year as that can be credited as BUSS1020 (another core unit).

However what you need to remember is that you must do 8 subjects that will allow you to gain good enough marks (definitely distinction average minimal) so as to transfer to B Commerce as it is quite competitive.

In terms of doing physiology/commercial law as a second major with economics it will not increase or decrease your employment chances. You need to remember that employers are looking for other stuff like extra-curriculars (and often with economics - graduating with honours).

I was in the same position as you and managed to transfer to B Commerce / B Arts so if you have any further questions just PM me.

Good luck :)

Hatake88

HSC
It really depends on your ATAR if you plan to transfer after your first year coz USYD do 50% ATAR 50% uni marks.

In terms of crossing over subjects you will need to do ECON1001 (Introductory Microeconomics) which can be credited on your transcript as BUSS1040 (a compulsory B Commerce subject). I also recommend taking ECMT1010 in your first year as that can be credited as BUSS1020 (another core unit).

However what you need to remember is that you must do 8 subjects that will allow you to gain good enough marks (definitely distinction average minimal) so as to transfer to B Commerce as it is quite competitive.

In terms of doing physiology/commercial law as a second major with economics it will not increase or decrease your employment chances. You need to remember that employers are looking for other stuff like extra-curriculars (and often with economics - graduating with honours).

I was in the same position as you and managed to transfer to B Commerce / B Arts so if you have any further questions just PM me.

I got in with a 70 WAM. I think if you do better at uni than you did in high school (like me), then they take your uni marks. If its vice versa, then they take 50% uni and 50% HSC (which drops to 25% HSC and 75% uni by the second year).

That being said, economics is somewhat similar to commerce anyways. You can choose out of the business school's subject list so I don't think it will make that big of a difference.

Hatake88

HSC

How about ECON1002 and ECMT1020? Can they replace business subjects too? I ask because, of course, I don't want to repeat too many junior units.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
How about ECON1002 and ECMT1020? Can they replace business subjects too? I ask because, of course, I don't want to repeat too many junior units.
you can get macro and stats credited. macro is not a core unit in B.Com.

to answer the OP's original question:
back when i transferred from UWS to USYD, my gpa was barely above a credit: 5.125 with ~75 ATAR. you should be able to transfer with a credit gpa/wam if it's not too competitive

Last edited:

Ballinnn

HSC
ok sweet. so basically i would be only repeating two subjects?

so if i majored in finance/sociology it would not have a huge impact on bridging to commerce or should i stay with Subjects from the school of business?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)