chinese studies (b arts/b archi) (1 Viewer)

xxPanDa

HSC
Im deciding on doing a B arts with B ARchitecture (http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/degrees/barch/arts.asp)
it says i need 78 UoC in Art

i only want to learn chinese
i heard that you will have to learn about the history, culture politics of china..
i dont want that >< i just want to learnt the laguage..
how much of that history, culture stuff are there?
can i get away, with not learning them?

and i looked at the handbook,
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2007/CHINA13400.html#ChineseStudiesCourses
is this the right course that im looking at?

if it is it says i must complete 42 UoC

im a beginner so i'll be choosing the

Beginners' entry level
Year 1 CHIN1006 and CHIN1007 (12uoc)
Year 2 CHIN2006 and CHIN2007 (12uoc)
Year 3 CHIN3006 and CHIN3007 and
1 Chinese Studies/Professional Elective course (6uoc)

theres only 30 UoC here, what do i do with the remaining 12??
and the other 36 UoC??

and one laast question, after gruaduating from this degree, will i be able to speak, write, read all chinese words?

is there another way of learning chinese during uni?

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
first of all you will have to do more than just chinese to meet your arts requirements.

2nd of all, if you want to learn the chinese language you have to learn about chinese culture. Mainly because learning about a language is useless without the cultural knowledge to understand how that language developed and how it is used today.
Chin 1006 and Chin 1007 include one hour of computer classes in which you have a local chinese student teach you about how to type characters into a computer and general information about the chinese culture (eg. types of games played, how to drink tea, what not to do with chopsticks if you want to avoid offending people, the university system, really useful information that's also heaps of fun). In first semester you also have an hour lecture about the development of the chinese language i.e. how the characters developed. This helps in remembering the characters coz you learn about the components of the character - those that signify the sound, others that reflect the object itself and so on. Second semester includes an hour lecture with a little bit about Chinese poets, history, geography and so on. Also really useful.

As for the remaining units of credit, you select other subjects offered by the Chinese department in order to qualify for a CHinese major - be they on film, politics whatever.

If all you are interested in is memorising words and characters I suggest you learn Chinese outside of university.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)