China-Australia Relations (1 Viewer)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I don't know why we have to paste a link everytime we make a thread about such a general and changing thing and I expect this thread to be around for a while. In any case obligatory news article extract and link:

ABC said:
Despite Australia and China's inter-dependent economic relationship, their political links have been hit by a series of upsets, the latest being Australia's decision to allow another visit by Uighur leader Rebiya Kadeer. In response, Beijing downgraded its representation at a recent regional meeting in Australia.
ABC Radio Australia:Connect Asia:Stories:Australia, China political relations on the slide

Now for some commentary.

Australian and Chinese relations are degrading over time and I think the biggest problem here is not understand our position in the geopolitical situation we're in. Australia is an important country which has especially in the past acted as a mediator in the wider Australasian and wider Pacific region where it concerns Australian political interests. We have a disproportionate amount of resources as per our relatively small population and through that we can capitalise on trade and lead great lives which can be sustainable with investing the profits appropriately (in infrastructure and education) respectively.

Now for the important question. Who are we? At a stretch we're the third most relevant country in the region which we command any authority. Under Japan and China. Again that's a stretch considering South Korea's PPP and wordly contributions are slightly above ours. What gives us authority is our bridge between the East and West, and our vast lands.

Taking this into account as a smaller body we can not bend the larger bodies to our will. China has reached out and offered a friendly hand to us and in return we reluctantly reach out 2/3rds of the way and expect China to re-extend that hand everytime. In utter defiance to our current geopolitical position.

We can't keep pissing China around or else we stand to lose our greatest ally. A military and economic superpower and future leader of the economic hyperpower that is BRIC, and also one of the 5 countries with Veto power in the UN. Moreso a country in high standing in the international community.

We need to swallow our pride and join China as a friend and a trading partner. So that they might make concessions in the same way that they expect of us.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Youre foolin urself. We needed McCain

What's the Milhouse line?
When she sees you'll do anything she says, she's bound to respect you!

Tangent

HSC
We are not apart of China, and because our cultures are so different it puts strains on relations. What China has come to expect of Australia is sad, because are a seperate nation to them- we maintain our independance. Just because China is looking to be the worlds next super power doesnt mean we should roll over and bark for them

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
We need to swallow our pride and join China as a friend and a trading partner. So that they might make concessions in the same way that they expect of us.
I'll take this quote slightly out of context, but it still has application here:

"Those who trade freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."

I'm also a bit surprised to hear this coming from you. Surely you of all people would vehemently disagree with any relations with China on the basis of their human rights record and the nature of their economy. Or have you made concessions here for the sake of argument?

Last edited:
HSC
I think we should get out of there myself, before we're in too deep. Being allies with America is ok, because at least we have the same political system, and, in theory, the same values. But China? Think of the things that've happened there. We don't want to get too caught up with a country like that.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
I hope this DOES damage relations with China. I hope that China pulls back, forcing Australia to shift priorities to other booming developing countries like Indonesia, Brazil, India.

America is a liberal democracy. I don't care if they're our biggest trade partner. China is an authoritiarian one party state that despises free speech. We don't want them with a controlling interest in Australia.

HSC
America is a liberal democracy. I don't care if they're our biggest trade partner. China is an authoritiarian one party state that despises free speech. We don't want them with a controlling interest in Australia.
My thoughts exactly.

zstar

HSC
N/A
I hope this DOES damage relations with China. I hope that China pulls back, forcing Australia to shift priorities to other booming developing countries like Indonesia, Brazil, India.

You're an idiot.

Ammonsa

HSC
N/A
What we need is a better Navy. Despite their claims at a fairly small force, they are building 5 nuclear powered nuclear armed submarines. We need to have the strongest navy in this area, or else they can do what they want. But for our government it's more about cutting costs than giving us a strong military.

Ammonsa

HSC
N/A
Hardly. Airforce is being gradually phased out. Since the Army and the Navy are getting more aircraft over the next few years it is getting far less neccesary to use the airforce.

Last edited:

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
What we need is a better Navy. Despite their claims at a fairly small force, they are building 5 nuclear powered nuclear armed submarines. We need to have the strongest navy in this area, or else they can do what they want. But for our government it's more about cutting costs than giving us a strong military.
Of course. I'm sure you know best. I'm sure you know more about the defence needs of the country than the Government does. Or the defence force it consulted in the last defence white paper. Or the outside experts it consulted. Or the allies it consulted. Or anybody else. Fuck, we should just name you head of the Australian Defence Force - nay, prime fucking minister.

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A
Why do we even have a defense force? I dont think we need one.

Last edited:

Ammonsa

HSC
N/A
Of course. I'm sure you know best. I'm sure you know more about the defence needs of the country than the Government does. Or the defence force it consulted in the last defence white paper. Or the outside experts it consulted. Or the allies it consulted. Or anybody else. Fuck, we should just name you head of the Australian Defence Force - nay, prime fucking minister.
The defence force wants us to have a better navy, that doesn't mean the government had to listen to them. The defence force is very unsatisfied with the last white paper, seeing as the government made a very hasty decision about having no nuclear powered subs. The thing is, they want to make bigger better subs but without nuclear power it isn't feasible with the technology available in the next 20 or 30 years.

Besides, did I say I knew best? I'm just stating my opinion. And did you think at all that the defence force might actually have the opinion that I stated. Because from the research that I have done, they do.

Navy cadets are privy to some information, after all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)