Chill out people - the HSC isn't that hard (1 Viewer)

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
Alright this might sound like a rant but i do have the best intentions at heart. I've spent alot of times reading about how people are stressed out and scared of getting a crappy UAI. Well trust me it's hard to get a crap UAI, I ended up getting 82.5 with little study. The majority of my school assesments where in the 50-70% range. Also people, if you get 1 bad assesment its not the end of the worlf for 2U maths i got 28% and 14% in the half-yearly's and trials, so take it from someone with experience, one or two flunked assesments is not the end of the world. Yr 12 was the best year of my schooling life and I'm sure everyone else will love it so take so advive, don't stress, enjoy yourselves, put in some effort and you will have one of the best years of your life and a decent UAI to kick.

LynH1326

HSC
Just get your assignments in on time... I just can't believe the two regular offenders of this rule in my Ancient History class last year. They both tried sucking up to the teacher and handed it in two months late. Yes, cuz they handed it in, they didn't get a non-attempt for it but they just lost however many percent of their yearly mark for it - which counts by the way.

At uni (if that's where you're going) no one cares how high your uai was. the majority of people there are much older than you and got in through other means, plus they get annoyed when a 17 yr old girl walks into a lecture with her friends saying: "OH LOOK THERE'S AN ECHO!!!!!! ECHO!!!!!" It happened to me... and i'm only 18 and rolled my eyes going "oh for the love of pete!"

Ok, off topic. Don't stress, its not worth it.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
I'd suggest to stress. Seriously slacking off now is the stupidest thing you could ever do. These heroes may have scored >80 doing jack, but depending on your cohort if your rank is bad then you are really screwed.

Don't over stress, but put your best in...

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
The HSC is only as hard as you make it.

Having all these thoughts and stressing out that you won't achieve won't help you at all.

You can't spend the year getting upset over every lost mark, just complete the work to the best of your abilities, try your best and you will be fine. After all your best is only what can be asked of you. :) Good Luck!

jaaaaay

HSC
Raven3333 said:
Well trust me it's hard to get a crap UAI, I ended up getting 82.5 with little study.
i think it depends on what your definition of 'crap UAI' is...

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
jaaaaay said:
i think it depends on what your definition of 'crap UAI' is...
It's actually not that easy to get 30 or under, if that's what crap is.

Personally I think a crap UAI is one that doesn't make the cut-off of your preferred courses. But if I have to look at it in terms of numbers, I'd say below 95 is somewhat unsatisfactory.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
Nakashima said:
To actually go that bad I think you almost have to be trying really hard to fail!

Nakashima said:
Personally I think a crap UAI is one that doesn't make the cut-off of your preferred courses. But if I have to look at it in terms of numbers, I'd say below 95 is somewhat unsatisfactory.
I agree with the first bit, so long as you make the cut off into your course then it doesn't matter what your actual UAI was. The second half of that reminds me of me a few years ago when I'd have though anything below 95 was HORRIBLE and the end of the world :p

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
f3nr15 said:
How do you fail ?
By not achieving what you set out to achieve. i.e. the UAI you want. The measure of failure is one only you can determine.

jaaaaay

HSC
Nakashima said:

well, some people would say 'crap' is under 90... *sigh*

Season

HSC
Meh people stress too much, it really is a waste of emotions. People keep going 'oh this is th most important thing in my life must not fail', when in reality there are so many more important things in life then a silly number at the end of the year. All you need to do is work, study, go to school and you'll get a nice one. Its not any secret, we've been told this from kindy

I work, I study, I go out, and do exams. That combination has lead my teachers to help me out at every turn and get some pretty decent grades and rankings thus far.

Last year everyone except ONE person I talked to was very happy with their UAIs, they were all expecting lower and most got higher and getting pumped to go to uni.

Wait until a friend dies, then you realise that the real world is a little bit different from school.

HSC
HSC isn' that hard to be honest, its all effort, put the effort in, do the work properly and u'll get the marks

put the time into study and u'll get the marks in the exams

its as simple as that

personally, if people think the hsc is hard, i dno how they'll cope in uni, cos uni is much harder

ps: not attacking anybody, just making general statement so do not criticise, i am not making a mockery of anyone, but rather stating facts

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
the pospinator said:
HSC isn' that hard to be honest, its all effort, put the effort in, do the work properly and u'll get the marks

put the time into study and u'll get the marks in the exams

its as simple as that

personally, if people think the hsc is hard, i dno how they'll cope in uni, cos uni is much harder

ps: not attacking anybody, just making general statement so do not criticise, i am not making a mockery of anyone, but rather stating facts
You sound very experienced for someone who hasn't finished the HSC yet.

A 'crap UAI' is open to interpretation. For me, it's anything bleow 80. for other, they may just be stoked to get anywhere near 80. It all depends.

Will_2005_

HSC
totally agree, wasn't motivated to work all year so just did quick jobs on all my assessments and hardly studied for exams, had a turn around 2 weeks before hsc coz i realised pathways was gonna cost me big $$, studied my ass off and got straight into uni - hsc is a joke.

It's really not that hard, somewhere on this forum they have the RAW marks and how they scale to hsc marks where if u get like 60% in the exam its upped to like 70 hsc mark in a particular subject, if u get 70 is upped to like 80 etc ok not exactly like that if you want actual figures go find the post on this forum, but anyway the point im trying to get at is..people who get 90+ UAI's dont get 90% on every single one of ther internal/external assessments, people who get 80+ UAI's don't get 80% on all of there assessments, thats where most people go wrong when there stressing out over the hsc and thats silly myth no.1 that adds to the hype of 'ohhh nooo hsc is so big and bad and hard', they think thats how it works.

Someone with a 90+ UAI is not soo uber smart genius like it's made out to be, I have a mate who got a 90+ UAI and hes really not that smart.. but he did put in a FUCKLOAD of time into the hsc and no lifed it so that he knew all the material, no matter how retarded you may be chances are you can still learn everything someone else can..but you'll just learn it slower and it'll take more effort on your part to learn it. That's myth no.2 that you needa be a genius to succeed in the hsc!! oh and adding to this! humanities = average persons way to a decent UAI coz you don't need to be smart at alllll to learn them seein as their so content based. I swear my lil 10 yr old cuz could learn the business studies syllabus...

^^those were two of the biggest kickers to motivation during the hsc and there myths!! they instill in you the kind of attitude 'oh its too hard how am i meant to get 85% on all my assessments!, all those people doing so well are geniuses and i cant compete with them and im screwed anyway so why try' SERIOUSLY its not that hard!!!! so relax, and put a lil effort in and you'll be fine.

HSC
Good UAI: you get into your course.

Shit UAI: You miss out.

There are no two ways about it, everyone forgets how you went once you start uni.

[/argument]

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Will_2005_ said:
humanities = average persons way to a decent UAI coz you don't need to be smart at alllll to learn them seein as their so content based. I swear my lil 10 yr old cuz could learn the business studies syllabus...
Doing a humanities subject is not an automatic pathway to getting a godo UAI. Doing Modern, say, is not going to definitely get you a better UAI than, say, doing chem or bio.

Business may be an easier course, but it's for that exact reason that it doesn't scale well. Choosing different subjects is not going to help you game the system. The only reason you should do a subject is because you're interested in it or good at it - not because you think it'll boost your UAI, because it probably won't.

L

littlewing69

Will_2005_ said:
totally agree, wasn't motivated to work all year so just did quick jobs on all my assessments and hardly studied for exams, had a turn around 2 weeks before hsc coz i realised pathways was gonna cost me big $$, studied my ass off and got straight into uni - hsc is a joke.

It's really not that hard, somewhere on this forum they have the RAW marks and how they scale to hsc marks where if u get like 60% in the exam its upped to like 70 hsc mark in a particular subject, if u get 70 is upped to like 80 etc ok not exactly like that if you want actual figures go find the post on this forum, but anyway the point im trying to get at is..people who get 90+ UAI's dont get 90% on every single one of ther internal/external assessments, people who get 80+ UAI's don't get 80% on all of there assessments, thats where most people go wrong when there stressing out over the hsc and thats silly myth no.1 that adds to the hype of 'ohhh nooo hsc is so big and bad and hard', they think thats how it works.

Someone with a 90+ UAI is not soo uber smart genius like it's made out to be, I have a mate who got a 90+ UAI and hes really not that smart.. but he did put in a FUCKLOAD of time into the hsc and no lifed it so that he knew all the material, no matter how retarded you may be chances are you can still learn everything someone else can..but you'll just learn it slower and it'll take more effort on your part to learn it. That's myth no.2 that you needa be a genius to succeed in the hsc!! oh and adding to this! humanities = average persons way to a decent UAI coz you don't need to be smart at alllll to learn them seein as their so content based. I swear my lil 10 yr old cuz could learn the business studies syllabus...

^^those were two of the biggest kickers to motivation during the hsc and there myths!! they instill in you the kind of attitude 'oh its too hard how am i meant to get 85% on all my assessments!, all those people doing so well are geniuses and i cant compete with them and im screwed anyway so why try' SERIOUSLY its not that hard!!!! so relax, and put a lil effort in and you'll be fine.

Wow. Just wow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)