Chemistry (1 Viewer)

i query

HSC
did anyone do chemistry as a subject in their course and didn'thave background knowledge?
how was it?

frootloop

HSC
I'm going to do the bridging course...

Hopefully everyone there is as clueless as I am (except for the lecturer/tutor/whatever of course). I'd hate to be surrounded by people just wanting to refresh their memories. I'd feel like such a dumb-arse.

Is anyone else going?

tennille

HSC
Also, there is a Chemistry Fundamentals course during the year for those who haven't done HSC Chemistry. You might want to consider that. :)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
There were people in ssp who have not done HSC chem, so it's not really a big deal.

frootloop

HSC
Templar said:
There were people in ssp who have not done HSC chem, so it's not really a big deal.
What does 'ssp' stand for?

Something tells me I should know it...

SeDaTeD

HSC
Special Studies Program, by invitation to those who had high Chem HSC marks or really high UAI. Though Templar is referring to the likes of Laurie Field when talking about those invited without having done HSC chem.

i query

HSC
ameh said:
I'm in this boat. Did you try applying for a bridging course in Chemistry at Usyd?
yeah i wanted to but i'm going away overseas during the period set.
plus is it worth doing the course trying to fit in 2 years of chemistry in 2 weeks?

what course did you get into?

Last edited:

i query

HSC
Tennille said:
Also, there is a Chemistry Fundamentals course during the year for those who haven't done HSC Chemistry. You might want to consider that. :)
whats the differencs between doing normal chemistry and fundamentals?
do i have a choice i whether i do fundamntals or not?

plus didthe othertwo science courses biology and physics - does that effect anything?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I was more referring to the case of a friend who got into ssp in 2004 with 99.30 UAI and no chem whatsoever (as opposed people you mentioned who did prelim).

Fundamentals is for people with no background in chem. Basically tries to teach you all the basics. Syllabus varies substantially from normal/advanced. Try to avoid at all cost, very poor scaling.

Normal is just normal. Try to avoid if possible, poor scaling.

Advanced is for people who did well in the subject in the HSC. Covers normal course plus a bit more. Good scaling.

SSP is for those who did really well in the HSC, either overall and/or in chem. Identical to advanced except that it has fun pracs instead of the crap you get in normal/advanced, and lab conditions are better (less cramped, less supervision, more chemicals to play with).

SeDaTeD

HSC
Well there didn't seem to be a lot of scaling for SSP in second semester.

tennille

HSC
How do you know if SSP didn't scale that well? Maybe you just didn't do as well you thought.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Haha I know, that was in jest. Though a few people I know got less than what they expected.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
i query said:
yeah i wanted to but i'm going away overseas during the period set.
plus is it worth doing the course trying to fit in 2 years of chemistry in 2 weeks?

what course did you get into?

Yes.

B. Science/Arts at UNSW

munchymoocow

HSC
N/A
I did the bridging course back in '04, and doing fundamentals of chem like I did is a waste of time after doing it. Regular Chem I and Fundamentals courses are almost the same, save for the first six weeks of first semester, and those six weeks is just a rehash of the bridging course.

And if you want to get into Chem II from fundies, there's a supplementary course you've got to do in the summer holidays, but it's free so it's all good.

nit

HSC
Originally posted by SeDaTeD
Haha I know, that was in jest. Though a few people I know got less than what they expected.
Yeh SSP seemed to scale rather dodgily in second semester. And phantom SSP people appear to have topped the course...

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Markwise ssp was totally shit last semester. Although I can't say normal or advanced got scaled well either. Pretty much everyone got lower than what they expected.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
ditto templar, same goes with 2nd year....

though 2nd yr ssp is much more fun, tho much less fair than math ssp... but meh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)