Chemistry vs Physics - difficulty? (1 Viewer)

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
I'm in year 11 this year and I'm doing Physics and Chemistry. My friend who is in year 12 now says that Physics is easier compared to Chemistry. Who here does those 2 subjects? Which one is harder and how? Leave some comments about what you think~ ;)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i think it depends on what you're interested in.
i did both for yr 11, and then dropped phys at the end of prelim, so i cant really comment on the difficulty of the yr 12 course (i found yr 11 difficult, but i have a feeling that was largely due to my teachers unsatisfactory teaching methods)
so yeah, if you can, keep both, but if you wanna drop one, drop the one that least interests you

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Normally the difficulty for me is directly proportional to their boringness, therefore, chemistry is slightly more difficult (even though I go better at it).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I am failing physics for some reason this year, so I'd have to say chem.

comfortable

HSC
i did both, and i found physics harder in yr 11 and easer in yr 12, and chemistry easier in yr 11 and harder in yr 12 :p

overall...i think physics is easier hence chem scales better

A

abdo

(^o^) said:
I'm in year 11 this year and I'm doing Physics and Chemistry. My friend who is in year 12 now says that Physics is easier compared to Chemistry. Who here does those 2 subjects? Which one is harder and how? Leave some comments about what you think~ ;)
moi thinks math is the hardest, hence physics is the harder.

the key to learning chemistry is learning how to read and write chemical formulas really well. the key to physics is math, if one can derive all the formulas or equations one encounters using fundamental laws and definitions, one will enjoy physics since you actually understand it.

try deriving something simple if you're not cool like some of us... derive the wave equation of v = f x lambda by using the definitions. if you can do that easily then you are cool. :)

the_archduke

Chemistry is by far harder than Physics for me. Not that the concepts in Chemistry are hard but I find the subject fractured and hard to string together. Its all pretty much a whole lot of knowledge and no grounding.

A

abdo

yes i was gonna say that but forgot.

chemistry have 10 different models for explaining little things that does not even make sense... but thats due to quantum mechanics anyways.

personally modern physics and chemistry is just the same does not make sense type of thing to me. its just plug in some model if it fits... surely they are not right

umm how should i put this... never try to understand a theory by itself... only try to understand the reasoning or derivation that lead to the theory. so its like they don't actually know if its right, i don't know either, but i do understand how they say it could be right by using whatever empirical results and creativity.

the key is like i said before good math skills for physics. and good at chemical formulas and math for chemistry.

skazmonger

Crunch!
HSC
Both are hard in their own ways... the stupid sullabus makes them both harder, having to learn all those bloody things like "the effect on society of transistors" and "how Galvani, Davy and Farady helped our understanding of electron transfer reactions"
Physics concepts are hard. Once you've got them, it's easy.
Chem concepts are more straight forward. But there's like all sorts of exceptions to rules, that you have to memorise.

I find them both ok...

I was just thinking though... the maths in Physics is soooo small... I mean, there's no calculus (well in the options I'm doing) it's just formulae. Maths things aren't the big problem in this physics syllabus.

A

abdo

skazmonger said:
Physics concepts are hard.
like i said before, you can't truly get physics concept or theory without understanding of the math/logics behind it.

hsc is physics is for those who likes history and social issues... like moi, love reading about schrodinger's 10 wives and bohr's affairs with some girl. :)

oh yes antoine lavoisier beheading in the french revolution and how he saved lagrange from getting jail the previous year... that was the highlight of the whole chemistry course... oh crap its not even in the syllabus.

a bit off the topic but here is a quote from lagrange on lavoisier's head: "it only took them a instant to take off that head, and a 100 years will not suffice to produce another of its like."

this stuff should be in the syllabus... so interesting.

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
I agree with what has already been said
-----> physics concepts -- difficult to understand - easy to apply/remember
----->chemistry concepts -- easy to understand - difficult to remember/apply

Like Abdo (or Abdoooooooo! I wonder) said, maths is important for physics - at least that type of analytical - logical deductive type of thinking that goes along with maths - whereas chemical formulas - and understanding of the structure of atoms, molecules etc. (as far as HSC chem is concerned anyway...)

Chem is much more 'crammable' than physics whereas you can work all year in chem - not cram - and miss out on an 8 mark queation onsome obscure dot point... wait that can happen in any science.... damn :(

ngai

HSC
i like phys more and i find it easier
but theres a lot of useless non-scientific dot points in that phys syllabus that get me rather annoyed...
chem too, but i reckon phys has a little more trash than chem

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Chem has a whole topic worth of geography in it. I mean wtf, catchment management?

rumour

HSC
Chemistry is harder!!!

You have to do all this research!
About water, AAS, ions in compounds, etc.

A

abdo

Zarathustra said:
Chem is much more 'crammable' than physics whereas you can work all year in chem - not cram - and miss out on an 8 mark queation onsome obscure dot point... wait that can happen in any science.... damn :(
no. it can only happen in physics, i promise you. 8 markers only appear in physics, chem and bio only 6-7 marks max (7 marks really really rare in chem).

i guess you are loving it, good luck. oh and remember planck was a nazi, haber was a jew, and kock is a disease. but they all have one thing in common...

edit: yes, it is abdooooo!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)