Chemistry vs. Biology vs. Physics (1 Viewer)

Simran-

HSC
I do Bio as my only science subject. Personally I hated Physics and Chemistry in my junior years, which is why I picked Bio in year 11. Bio is pretty much rote learning and understanding the content. It's not that difficult as compared to Physics and Chemistry.
In regards to scaling, it does a scale a bit lower than Physics and Chemistry but it definitely scales better than some Hizzy and TAS/Home Ec subjects (Business, SAC, Aboriginal Studies, Food Tech, Design and Tech etc).
Ultimately it depends on you though, and what you are interested in and what you will enjoy learning :)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I do Bio as my only science subject. Personally I hated Physics and Chemistry in my junior years, which is why I picked Bio in year 11. Bio is pretty much rote learning and understanding the content. It's not that difficult as compared to Physics and Chemistry.
In regards to scaling, it does a scale a bit lower than Physics and Chemistry but it definitely scales better than some Hizzy and TAS/Home Ec subjects (Business, SAC, Aboriginal Studies, Food Tech, Design and Tech etc).
Ultimately it depends on you though, and what you are interested in and what you will enjoy learning :)
Dont be hating on the aboriginals cuz dats racists

Lithone

HSC
OP has already made their decision considering the school year has already started by now buuut

I do both Phys & Bio and not chem

Phys - It's really important you actually understand the concepts, it's not just bashing values down into formulas, although the mathematical aspect of Phys is really watered down compared to the actual Maths courses *cough 4u mechanics cough* There isn't much content, but it's a very logical subject so you have to make there is a deep understanding behind it.
Bio - MEMORISE memorise memorISE. Tbh, Bio is pretty much just rote learning the content until you can repeat it in your sleep - and then "applying that knowledge" in the form of succinct explanations to questions. There isn't much conceptual understanding you really need to get down and the connections (e.g. homeostasis & enzymes) are usually quite obvious and self-explanatory if you bother to cover the content.

I'd say in terms of study, making syllabus notes for Bio especially effective. Less for Phys, but still helpful.

shrapnel220200

HSC
N/A
Why y'all gotta hate on Bio:)

It's really good, I don't know about year 12 bio yet, but there is only a bit of rote learning in year 11. If you smashed year 10 science I would recommend it. I can answer most questions in Bio without cramming...BUT

Despite finding Physics next to Impossible, it tries to trick you and succeeds really well at it, but I still absolutely love the subject.

Chem, on the other hand, is a rather counter-intuitive science and while many concepts link together, it's just boring and hard.
In Bio I just see how everything relates, it all boils down to Darwin's work on Evolution etc.

Last edited:

year10studentpreparin

HSC
Hi guys! I'm in Year 10 2014, going into Year 11 2015. I've picked out most of the subjects I wish to do next year, but I'm just a bit stumped on the sciences! I know for one I will pick Chemistry as its a topic I've enjoyed in Science through junior years. For Physics, I've been doing pretty well for it in terms of Year 10 work, but I've flicked through textbooks for preliminary and the maths in it just looks out of this world and I'm afraid I won't be able to get anything or handle it. So the toss is between physics and biology! What is each subject like and how do their methods of learning/study differ from each other?

In reference to the title, I don't mean I have trouble picking from Chemistry as well, but I mean to ask for it as a comparison against everything else in terms of its coursework and methods etc, as Biology and Physics are the ones I am debating over.

Thank you so much!
Chemistry would be the hardest out of them
probs do bio and chem

year10studentpreparin

HSC
Theres no way people are saying that bio is more of a rote learning subject.

MF you can go on the atar notes bio booklet for it the day before and get high as long as u have good critical thinking/science skills

Chemistry however ffs u have to get every nitty gritty detail, i think in bio they learned that it is stupid to test on the most nitty picky things but damn chemistry man I swear that has double the content of bio plus bio is fun

physics is just.... sucky

year10studentpreparin

HSC
idk i feel like its less study than phys, most of the chem syllabus is just stuff you understand once then u know forever whereas phys has more memorisation stuff
lol I actually get what u mean with the once u understand you know forever because I could ez do module 5 and module 6 even after not touching it for many months but damn I just cant be asked doing module 7 and module 8 just wasnt interesting but I definitely agree with you

carrotsss

HSC
didnt do hsc physics but would u say the calcs in phys are a bit harder or same difficulty as chem calcs?
phys calcs are a tiny bit harder imo (not too bad though) but at least for me the main difficulty is that mod7/mod8 have so much annoying bs like "historical methods to determine the speed of light" and "contributions of x scientist" which just takes so long to remember and the marking criteria are always such a pain, like i know mod8 chem isn't all amazing but it seems downright fun compared to a 9 marker on history where u have to mention 5 specific words or else your marks crumble

An0nyM0usUseR455

HSC
N/A
phys calcs are a tiny bit harder imo (not too bad though) but at least for me the main difficulty is that mod7/mod8 have so much annoying bs like "historical methods to determine the speed of light" and "contributions of x scientist" which just takes so long to remember and the marking criteria are always such a pain, like i know mod8 chem isn't all amazing but it seems downright fun compared to a 9 marker on history where u have to mention 5 specific words or else your marks crumble
i agree. I still think they gotta include calculus in physics course but they wont do that :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)