Chemistry Versus Physics (1 Viewer)

Chemistry Versus Physics

• Total voters

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
If you do both of these mega sciences, vote which one you think is better and feel free to discuss why.

R4diance

HSC
I'd say Physics because of marvels and breakthroughs such as Communication, Electricity, Structures and Engineering. (Just my opinion, don't bash me :p )

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Be careful leaving out other sciences and calling these 'mega' may offend some people. What about biology?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
I already thought about that. I do Biology and I feel it really isn't up to the level of Chemistry and Physics in terms of difficulty and the gates these two 'mega' subjects open. However this is debatable and I'll change it if it sparks a furor among the calm and peaceful community of BoS.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Damn, this sucks. I thought I made it so we can see who votes for what...Delete thread and remake it :D?

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
both are pretty crappy in hindsight with relevance to actual physics and chem
but i would say I liked physics better than chem since i had someone who actually knew what they were teaching me (tutor) whilst for chem my teacher just used some notes and didn't really explain much

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Damn, this sucks. I thought I made it so we can see who votes for what...Delete thread and remake it :D?
you can see who voted
click on the number of votes and it shows who did

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Much like my Chemistry teacher and Physics teacher. I just self-learn all the concepts and stuff.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
My vote is a biased vote because I've only ever done Physics.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Better?

They're fairly different, can you give me a scope for better? Ie more fun, more difficult, scales better, more appreciated by universities.
I don't think there's an overall better- but in terms of better hsc subject for the hsc, I found physics a better differentiator- while chemistry was all rote learning.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Better?

They're fairly different, can you give me a scope for better? Ie more fun, more difficult, scales better, more appreciated by universities.
I don't think there's an overall better- but in terms of better hsc subject for the hsc, I found physics a better differentiator- while chemistry was all rote learning.
Physics is full of relentless rote learning sometimes little to do with the actual Physics course. Although this is similar to HSC Chemistry in a way, Physics is no better.
HSC Physics is a horrible subject

In terms of contribution to humanity overall, it is difficult to compare both as they both work hand in hand to produce what we have today in terms of engineering and communications
Although Physics may play a more central role in these areas, most definitely Chemistry helps industrialise it, produce it and create a medium for which the Physics occurs in.

My vote is based on the fact that I enjoyed the Chemistry course much more than the Physics course since the Physics course is really limited to be honest

Last edited:

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Physics is full of relentless rote learning sometimes little to do with the actual Physics course. Although this is similar to HSC Chemistry in a way, Physics is no better.

In terms of contribution to humanity overall, it is difficult to compare both as they both work hand in hand to produce what we have today in terms of engineering and communications

Although Physics may play a more central role in these areas, most definitely Chemistry helps industrialise it, produce it and create a medium for which the Physics occurs in.

My vote is based on the fact that I enjoyed the Chemistry course much more than the Physics course since the Physics course is really limited to be honest
I thought Physics was understanding the concepts well, whereas Chemistry was more rote-learning

jenslekman

HSC

Oh really? because there wasn't any maths involved? Personally I can't judge which HSC subject is better because I didn't do Chemistry. However, HSC physics is not a horrible subject - it gives students a taste of modern Physics and it relies on understanding more than rote-learning even though the maths is elementary. Sure, the course is rote-learnable, but that requires effort, and the easy way to learn the course is through understanding. Personally, I loved HSC physics because it was a low effort subject that was rewarding at the same time and really does explore the wonders of modern physics in a way that other overseas syllabuses don't.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

I disagree, I barely rote learn physics. It is a subject which can be predominantly understood imo.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Oh really? because there wasn't any maths involved? Personally I can't judge which HSC subject is better because I didn't do Chemistry. However, HSC physics is not a horrible subject - it gives students a taste of modern Physics and it relies on understanding more than rote-learning even though the maths is elementary. Sure, the course is rote-learnable, but that requires effort, and the easy way to learn the course is through understanding. Personally, I loved HSC physics because it was a low effort subject that was rewarding at the same time and really does explore the wonders of modern physics in a way that other overseas syllabuses don't.
We have students who are trying to understand relativity yet they cannot even for the life of them calculate rate of motion in resisted medium due to the limitations of this course
I'm not saying Chemistry is great, but rather they are on similar levels of rote learning and such.
The syllabus is full of 'societal impacts', and so is the Chemistry course, there are 'understanding' elements to both courses at a relatively same rate.

Both courses contain repetitive calculations with little to any maths, only arithmetic, one can easily rote learn the 'type' of questions they ask and just go on from there.

I should probably fix my statement and say that HSC Physics and HSC Chemistry are both horrible courses.

Maybe its the fact that I know less of 'real Chemistry', is the reason I'm less frustrated over it.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
We have students who are trying to understand relativity yet they cannot even for the life of them calculate rate of motion in resisted medium due to the limitations of this course
I'm not saying Chemistry is great, but rather they are on similar levels of rote learning and such.
The syllabus is full of 'societal impacts', and so is the Chemistry course, there are 'understanding' elements to both courses at a relatively same rate.

Both courses contain repetitive calculations with little to any maths, only arithmetic, one can easily rote learn the 'type' of questions they ask and just go on from there.

I should probably fix my statement and say that HSC Physics and HSC Chemistry are both horrible courses.

Maybe its the fact that I know less of 'real Chemistry', is the reason I'm less frustrated over it.
Physics: do you understand why something works like this?

Chemistry: can you remember the structure, properties, industrial uses, industrial sources, societal impact and history of 32 different things? Whoever can remember the most wins- the closer your answer is to exactly what was written in the prescribed textbook the better!

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Physics: do you understand why something works like this?

Chemistry: can you remember the structure, properties, industrial uses, industrial sources, societal impact and history of 32 different things? Whoever can remember the most wins- the closer your answer is to exactly what was written in the prescribed textbook the better!
'Discuss the impact of the development of transformers on society'
'Identify data sources, gather, analyse and present information on the contribution of one of the following to the development of space exploration: Tsiolkovsky, Oberth, Goddard, Esnault-Pelterie, O‘Neill or von Braun'
'Identify data sources, gather, process, analyse information and use available evidence to assess the impact of the invention of transistors on society with particular reference to their use in microchips and microprocessors'

It's safe to say both courses have rote-learning, but Chemistry seems to have more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)