Chemistry Textbooks (1 Viewer)

geniass

I have just started doing the HSC course and we are going to be using the conquering chemistry hsc textbook. I also have a success one chemistry book.
Will this be enough or is there another really good textbook out there that anyone would recommend as a "must-have."?

Huy

HSC
N/A
conq chem is the must have :)

i have excel chem, but it's not that good.

success 1 + conq chem are your best bet

(there are other threads on chem textbooks too, you might want to search for them :))

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
you might wanna get 'Excel: Chem Core in a Month'. nice short, concise study guide.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by Rancid Monkey
get chemistry contexts
best book out there for hsc
pathways and conquering arent that good for the hsc course
i found the opposite actually, macmillan and conquering chem are much better than context imho. although context is still useful for the odd dot points, it doesnt explain stuff well enough - being much too brief.

i reckon using macmillan as your main source and conquering as a summary would work well

Last edited:

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
Pathway has a lotta stuff not in syllabus but its pretty comprehensive... conquering has all the stuff in the syllabus, hmm, not all but most, and beware coz it makes mistakes here and there. These two probably complement each other.

BUT =p if you want to really cane chemistry, get:

=> Chemistry by Zumdahl
=> Molecular Nature of Matter by Silberberg
=> Organic Chemistry by Morrison& Boyd or John McMurry
=> Physical Chemistry By Peter Atkins
=> Biochemistry by Lubert Stryer

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
lol our new syllabus isn't THAT tough.

Originally posted by Huy
conq chem is the must have :)
CC actually misses some dot points...or doesn't go into enough detail...Pathways + CC should be enough for year 12

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ive had access to quite a few books. i reccommend having at least 2 textbooks, 1 'past papers' collection, and the 'excel revise in a month'
we were issued with conq chem and chem contexts in class

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
i know i know, pathway and conquering + past papers should be enough =p but those ones provide good extra knowledge... damn the syllabus now, it's making chem another 2units of english.

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Have you seen the VCE chemistry papers? Looks a lot more fun than ours. And it's possible to get 100, unlike with these fkin 8 mark essays.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Originally posted by Skywalker
Have you seen the VCE chemistry papers? Looks a lot more fun than ours. And it's possible to get 100, unlike with these fkin 8 mark essays.
yeah all their papers are heaps shorter (1.5hrs) and the questions are easier to answer coz they don't really have the verbs... and things are broken down for them - eg. instead of evaluating something - they get "write down 1 problem" "write down one benefit" etc...
it looks way easier than HSC!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mercury
BUT =p if you want to really cane chemistry, get:

=> Chemistry by Zumdahl
=> Molecular Nature of Matter by Silberberg
=> Organic Chemistry by Morrison& Boyd or John McMurry
=> Physical Chemistry By Peter Atkins
=> Biochemistry by Lubert Stryer
uhuh of course! i read uni chem books all the time! :D

nice thought though for wannabe-TSPs.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
oh yes mercury.. *trust*.

conq is pretty comprehensive.. pathways is more interesting to read than conq but it doesn't cover the syllabus as well.

i don't hink there are any *must have* texbooks other than conq tho.. there are plenty of websites online for any extra info, plus u got the benefit of access to plenty of ppls notes @ bos, due to generations of hsc-ers before u... =)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
nooo....mee!! meeee!!!!

hmm my other tuition thread seems dead for some reason

forsaken_99

SURFING, SURFING, SURFING. These books are must haves. They are about all that i use and have gotten through rather successfully. We also use Contexts 2 and i don't mind it. It's just that surfing is so concise and directly answers the syllabus.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
chemistry contexts is good for the hsc. if you combine that with conq you are set

excel is crap

eeyore

success one is CRAP!! don't waste your money on it.
for each topic, they ask the same question multiple times. and the answers to alot of the questions are wrong too..
my chem tutor thinks it's stupid too.

pathways has too much info in it - alot of it's useless.

ESL

secondhand textbooks!!

I have a lot of physics, chem and maths textbooks and I am selling some of them, anyone interested plz let me know, prices are negotiable.

--Physics contexts 1 and 2, Physics in context (huge), Excel Physics prelim. and HSC, Success One Physics...

--Conquering Chem. HSC, Excel Chem prelim. and HSC, Success One Chem., Chemistry Contexts 1 and 2...

--Cambridge 3Unit and 4Unit maths, Fitzpatrick 3u and 4U Coroneos, Jones and Coachmen, Excel,..... (you name it, I've got it, oh except that macmillan one)

znipermanau@yahoo.com.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)