Chemistry, Physics or Bio prac test tips ? (1 Viewer)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Hm well my prac tests are coming up for chem and physics and I know that you can't really sudy for them, but are there any tips you can give me or anything to get my ready for them? I'll be looking over how to write experimental reports (which i should already know) but I just feel like I should at least be kind of ready for them by studying or something but unsure how.

So yeah. If there are any pointers you can give me it'd be much appreciated.

cccclaire

HSC
You can't really prepare.
Most of our pracs we do in chem are fairly similar to ones we've already done in class, so if you just look over your notes from those ones I spose it helps.
The thing is with prac tests, is its so easy to glance around at what everyone else is doing so you can see if you're way off.
also make sure you do all those lame things like wearing safety glasses that you wouldn't normally do because they take off marks and stuff.

HSC
have a look at your prac reports.

check your syllabus. for each topic there's a section of points for knowledge (on the left) and then another section for skills/pracs (on the right). check the latter out.

Le3sah

HSC
Heys
Yeah my physics and chem pracs are coming up real soon as well.
I guess you can always look through previous pracs you've done in class?
Oh for physics I think it would be good if you learnt the formulas for that topic just incase they make you calculate crap.

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
cccclaire said:
You can't really prepare.
Most of our pracs we do in chem are fairly similar to ones we've already done in class, so if you just look over your notes from those ones I spose it helps.
The thing is with prac tests, is its so easy to glance around at what everyone else is doing so you can see if you're way off.
also make sure you do all those lame things like wearing safety glasses that you wouldn't normally do because they take off marks and stuff.

correction you can!!!

bio- it obviously cant be about evolution/disease blah.. though it could be enzyme or effect of environment

physics- dnt do it

chem- cant be esterification unless you have a vent for each kid, know your equations

and time allocation obviously

=]

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Hm okay I will do that. Thanks for that cccclaire, watatank, pattii + le3sah.

@ le3sah ; Oh okay I will do that then ! ahah .. gosh .. i nearly forgot about those.

@ patti ; Could you explain what you mean in the chem bit ? I didn't really understanddd .. lol

@ cccclaire ; I'm so used to doing all the routine stuff. My teacher ALWAYS buggs us about our safety glasses and hair and all. It's actually hilarious. And we also have like lab coats and all ALL THE TIME. For me thats weird because we NEVER used them in the junior years. Plus they smell. =/

[ note ; I edited this like 3 or 4 times so yeah - stupid bos and it's weird postings. ]

Last edited:

undalay

HSC
I'm pretty sure we don't do esters until next year.

Anyone got a 10/10 prac report? With discussion and saftey and all included. I'll add a link if i find one.

edit:

Btw, anyone know what exactly goes in the discussion?

and is safety before or after the method?

Last edited:

cs01001

HSC
Well, I did mines a while ago for Chemistry. Seeing as I don't do physics, so I can't really offer mcuh there.

Really remember to use a pencil for graphs, use line of best fit, use a titles, label X+Y axis on graph.
- Remember to label everything with units
- Be succicint*, use keywords like solvent/solute.

Really simple points, but I hope you don't repeat my mistakes. :)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
hm okay then ! I'll do that. Ah .. line of best fit graphs don't apply for like exact results though right ? Like mp and bp. You would connect the dots right?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah. Then do a line of best fit. Remember the 10 (or I think it is 10) rules of graphing. Safety Issues and to a lesser extent, vairables, is a MUST!

Watch out for time and allocate it for the practical, and the actual write up. Know the format of a scientific report and answer any questions specifically.

Good luck!

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
lol ? 10 rules of graphing ? I've never heard of such a thing !

Safety issues, variables, time .. hm i think ive got them covered. Hopefully ..

THANK YOU ! :)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
10 Rules of Line Graphing:

1. Title
2. x-axis labelled (eg- time)
3. y-axis labelled (eg- Mass of blah blah over time)
4. Units that you are measuring for x-axis label completed (eg- days, minutes etc)
5. Unit that you are measuring for y-axis label completed (eg- cm, m, kg, etc)
6. Write your units evenly for the independent variable on the x-axis (eg- 2, 4, 6, 8)
7. Write your units evenly for the dependent variable on the y-axis (eg- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
8. Plot your points with either crosses or dots
9. Connect them together if you are required to.
10. Draw a line of best fit!

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
ohhh .. lol well thanks for that. I kinda just got used to remembering all that just from practicing. That's a pretty cool list though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)