• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Chemistry Marathon 2007 (1 Viewer)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Next question: A student determined in the laboratory that the % by mass of water in CuSO4.5H2O is 40.0%. If the accepted value is 36.0%, what is the Percent of error?
a) 0.11%
b) 1.1%
c) 11%
d) 4.0%[/quote]

a year 2 kid could tell ya its d)

lol but for some reason i know its not gana be "d" :(:(:(:(:(

mmhmm

kony

HSC
it's 11%.

(40-36)/36 x 100

as for the CO2 ppm question, i think it's important that conditions were given, so it's a (v/v) concentration thing.

to work out the volume of air per L we got 1.28 x 10^-5 moles / L

= 1.28 x 10^-5 x 24.79 L / L

= 3.17312 x 10^-4 L / L

= 317.312 ppm

Assess the impact of chemistry on society based on your studies this year (as a history PFA) (20 marks :))

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
kony said:
it's 11%.

(40-36)/36 x 100

as for the CO2 ppm question, i think it's important that conditions were given, so it's a (v/v) concentration thing.

to work out the volume of air per L we got 1.28 x 10^-5 moles / L

= 1.28 x 10^-5 x 24.79 L / L

= 3.17312 x 10^-4 L / L

= 317.312 ppm

Assess the impact of chemistry on society based on your studies this year (as a history PFA) (20 marks :))
well for the CO2 (g) question..... mmhmm..... mg/L = ppm right...... what you did was L/L ??? i think you might be wrong? if we do it in mg/L we get 0.5632ppm .... mmhmm but they would have given us the Litres thingy for a reason ....... :S

yoakim can you post answer?

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Kony, you're correct for both questions. Great working out there buddy haha.

For the CO2 question, this is how I did my working:

c = 1.28x10^-5 mol/L, which means 1.28x10^-5 mol in every 1L of air.

V = n x MV

V = 1.28x10^-5 x 24.79L
= 3.173 x 10^-4 L

Concentration is 3.173 x 10^-4 L in every 1L (v/v)
which is the same as:
= 0.0003173L in every 1L
= 0.3173mL in every 1L
= 317.3mL in every 1,000,000mL

Therefore, it is 317.3 ppm

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
yoakim said:
Kony, you're correct for both questions. Great working out there buddy haha.

For the CO2 question, this is how I did my working:

c = 1.28x10^-5 mol/L, which means 1.28x10^-5 mol in every 1L of air.

V = n x MV

V = 1.28x10^-5 x 24.79L
= 3.173 x 10^-4 L

Concentration is 3.173 x 10^-4 L in every 1L (v/v)
which is the same as:
= 0.0003173L in every 1L
= 0.3173mL in every 1L
= 317.3mL in every 1,000,000mL

Therefore, it is 317.3 ppm
mL/mL is ppm?

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Chemistry has impacted on society IMMENSELY! The 20th century has seen the birth of three Ages, each with profound social implications. These have been called the Nuclear Age, the Electronic Age and the Chemical Age. The latter is the oldest (beginning ca. 1930), and although its impact has been less dramatic than the other two, its consequences have more thoroughly and deeply permeated our day-to-day lives. Our local grocery, hardware, garden and drug stores carry an impressive array of commonly used chemical "tools", such as detergents, adhesives, lubricants, fabrics, pesticides, pharmaceutical drugs, vitamins and a multitude of fabricated plastic items. Industrial applications of chemical tools include explosives, heat-transfer gases and liquids, specialized coatings, fire retardants and high-performance plastic components.

Despite our widespread use of chemical tools, indeed some might say because of our reliance on them, many people fear exposure to these materials, and have deep concerns regarding the use, storage and disposal of chemicals. Paradoxically, we find our desires for more abundant consumer goods, energy and personal mobility in conflict with maintenance of a healthful environment. To be sure, environmental degradation, with accompanying threats to health and disruption of ecosystems, is not a new phenomenon. From the earliest recorded history, human disturbance of the environment by deforestation, air pollution from cooking and heating fires, and careless sewage and waste disposal has been noted. Today, as global populations grow and per capita energy use and material consumption increases, pollution problems are exacerbated, and previously unnoticed secondary effects manifest themselves.

It must be emphasized that effective strategies for safeguarding our environment require knowledge and understanding. To this end, we must be able to answer the following questions:

What potentially undesirable substances are present in our air, water, soil and food?
Where did these substances come from?
What options, alternative products and processes are available to reduce or eliminate undesireable contaminants?
How does the degree of hazard depend on the extent of exposure to a given substance, and how shall we choose among various corrective options?
The first of these questions requires chemical analysis, and thanks to advances in instrumentation, our ability to detect extremely small amounts of a given substance is unprecedented, and sometimes leads to unwarranted concern. Answers to the second question usually involve collaborative investigations by analytical chemists together with biologists, meteorologists, volcanologists, oceanographers and other scientists. The development of options, as noted in the third question, calls upon our full range of chemical understanding, and often obliges us to make controversial choices. For example, the world mortality rate due to malaria was drastically reduced (over 95%) in the 1950s by widespread application of the insecticide DDT . Because of this chemical's environmental persistence and toxicity to certain birds and crustaceans, use of DDT was effectively terminated ca. 1964. Third world malaria cases immediately spiraled, reaching over 250 million in 1990. Cheap, effective and environmentally friendly alternatives to DDT are needed, but are not necessarily easy to find. The fourth question is addressed by physicians, toxicologists and epidemiologists. A substantial body of knowledge has accumulated on this subject, but there is also considerable public confusion surrounding it.
Our strategies for risk minimization and environmental protection should be based on realistic hazard thresholds, and on our ability to detect specific offending substances well before their presence reaches that threshold. In this sense, detection can be equated to protection. Unfortunately, the public, the media, and government officials all too often equate detection with hazard. This is based on the widely held belief that a substance known to be toxic at a certain concentration will be toxic at any concentration, no matter how low.

Ok next question...

Which of the following statements is true for all condensation polymers?
a) They are naturally occuring polymers
b) They are formed from monomers, each of which contains double bonds
c) They are formed from the reaction of functional groups on neighbouring monomers
d) They have the same composition as the sum of the atoms in the monomers from which they are formed

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
wrxsti said:
mL/mL is ppm?
ppm:
= mg/L

1g = 1mL = 1000mg

Therefore, 1 mg = 1/1000mL

Therefore, 1mg/L = 1/1000mL per L
= 1mL/(1L x 1000)
= 1mL/1000L
= 1mL/1,000,000mL

Hence, 1mL/1,000,000mL = 1ppm

:)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
yoakim said:
Ok next question...

c) They are formed from the reaction of functional groups on neighbouring monomers
d) They have the same composition as the sum of the atoms in the monomers from which they are formed
answer is d)

... if its not... im gana hang myself.... ive gotten 2 QUESTIONS WRONG already in this thread :(:):):):):):):):):):)(

are all these questions your asking "yoakim" from NEAP papers? ive never seen those questions be4...

i hope difficult ppm questions dont come in the HSC.... ive neva seen a ppm question ever in the HSC so i guess it wont come up................................... (knowing my luck a ppm question will show up Question 1 )

independantz

HSC
isnt it a?, i thought a molecule got elimintated, generally water, when condensation polymers formed.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
It isnt a) since not all condensation polymers are natural, eg: esters can be artificial, and it isn't d) either :p. wrxsti, those other ones I posted up were for sure band 5/6 questions that were harder than normal (hence I posted them up to challenge you guys :p)

SSejychan

HSC
It's c), right? because the functional groups don't necessarily have to contain double bonds... so.. that leaves c) as the only correct answer?

but what does it mean by 'neighbouring monomers'? I know the monomers don't have to be the same, so... they just have to be next to each other???

Marzaa

HSC
yoakim said:
Ok next question...

Answer must b "C" then?

Neway, Explain the uses of ethanol as a solvent? (3 marks)

repax

HSC
ethanol has a hydrophyllic -OH group that allows it to bond with polar substances, it's short hydrophobic alkyl- group allows it to bond with non-polar substances, therefore making it extremely useful as a solvent in the medical or food industry. It's also highly polar, and forms hydrogen bonds with other substances and is miscible in water. oh and ethanol can dissolve non-polar substances, once the substance is dissolved, water can be added to create a solution that is mostly water.

Ok question, outline the advances in technology that enables the production of transuranic and radioactive elements for use in industrial and commercial sectors.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
SSejychan said:
It's c), right? because the functional groups don't necessarily have to contain double bonds... so.. that leaves c) as the only correct answer?

but what does it mean by 'neighbouring monomers'? I know the monomers don't have to be the same, so... they just have to be next to each other???
Neighbouring monomers basically means the monomers that react with each other. The functional groups are found on the ends of the neighbouring monomers, eg: the -OH functional group is found on the ends of glocose monomers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)