Chemistry Help (1 Viewer)

sabz1996

HSC
Hey,

I've been given a Chemistry assessment that's divided into two parts; an oral presentation and a write-up.
It asks me to address the PFA H5 which is "describes possible future directions in chemical research" and the topic I've been assigned is that of Chemical Industries. The issue that I need to discuss is that of "industrial chemists are constantly developing and improving production by recycling unused reactants and minimising the quantity of undesirable by-products and other methods of reducing waste".

So, I went ahead and did my research and decided to look at the Solvay Process and the production of sulfuric acid (from the option module; industrial chemistry) but now I've been told that I have to use module 3 (chemical monitoring and management) and I'm completely stuck! :(

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what topic I could possibly look at from module 3 or any advice in general?

Thank you :)

sabz1996

HSC
There's only combustion though in the first part of the syllabus and I'm not so sure how to write 1000 words on that :/

HSC
oops, aha only read first bit of what you had to do..
Incomplete combustion is probably your best choice and option. Talk about how CO and C can be detrimental to not only the environment and people. DO that in detail. And research other areas where those two products may affect

sabz1996

HSC
oops, aha only read first bit of what you had to do..
Incomplete combustion is probably your best choice and option. Talk about how CO and C can be detrimental to not only the environment and people. DO that in detail. And research other areas where those two products may affect
1000 words plus an oral presentation on a single dot point :( ?

kacca29

HSC
N/A
I think you should look at both recycling and minimising wastes. For recycling do Haber and for minimising wastes do combustion of fossil fuels. That way you can cover the oxides of nitrogen, sulfuric dioxide, oxides of carbon, particulates etc. 1000 words isn't actually very much. It's a good topic actually.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I could probably do 2000 words on this stuff.

If you go through the NH3 route, you might want to mention how you need very high pressure/temperature for nitrogen fixation but bacteria and enzymes can do nitrogen fixation as what is effectively room temperature and pressure - that's a route of research that's currently going on, we want synthetic techniques that don't require higher temperatures and pressures as it would really save a whole lot of energy.

You might also want to give a quick mention to the 12 Principle of Green Chemistry which is pretty much sums up why we try to improve chemical processes. Look here.

You might also want to link the combustion of fossil fuels with the Haber process - by that, I mean fossil fuels provide energy/heat that is needed in the Haber process.

But there's no waste products/by-products formed. It's only NH3.
Yes, but not all of the it will react.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)