• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Chemistry Confusion? (1 Viewer)

kirk.is.my.hero

HSC
I'm in year 11 and at the moment am thinking about persuing a career in Psycology or possibly nutrition. I’m not doing to well in chemistry but I know it’s pretty important in both of these courses which is why I took it in the first place. I don’t know whether I should drop chemistry and used the time I would normally spend on that to work on other subjects and therefore (in theory) get a better UAI. Or drop extension English (in which I’m doing very well) to focus on chemistry more.

sbllking

HSC
Um, at the end of the day, what you need is the best UAI possible. Is chem a pre-requisite for psychology? What subject do you like more?

I think that if you like English Ext 1 better and are getting better marks in it then you should do that, because you will get a higher UAI and have more chance of getting into the course. If you are OK at chem, and know for certain that you will put the time necessary into getting the high marks, and its a pre-requisite, then maybe you should go for that.

Im sorry that this isnt definitive, but you really need to think this over. For me, you know yourself and the level of work you are willing to put in. If realistically you know that if you keep chem you wont do the extra work, then you should choose E1 because you have a much higher chance of doing well.

Hope this helps!

-Isabelle

Matt Samson

HSC
kirk.is.my.hero said:
I'm in year 11 and at the moment am thinking about persuing a career in Psycology or possibly nutrition. I’m not doing to well in chemistry but I know it’s pretty important in both of these courses which is why I took it in the first place. I don’t know whether I should drop chemistry and used the time I would normally spend on that to work on other subjects and therefore (in theory) get a better UAI. Or drop extension English (in which I’m doing very well) to focus on chemistry more.
CSU has no pre-requisite subjects for any degree. However, a lot of subjects at CSU have "assumed knowledge" meaning the lecturer will assume everyone in the class "knows" the basics that are taught in the HSC.

Chemistry is likely important for nutrition, but not so much for psychology.

What is important in Psychology is your knowledge of statistics.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Plus CSU has a range of bridging courses if you aren't entirely up to scratch beforehand.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
No, trust me, the CSU Chem bridging course is shit and I don't recommend it to anybody.

I think you'd end up doing Chem 1A and Chem 1B if you did Nut, and theyre easy as hell (if I can pass anybody can pass).

I know somebody doing Psychology and there is no chemistry in it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)