Chemical salt??????? (1 Viewer)

jim_bob2004

Can anyone tell me the full chemical equation for the neutralisation reaction of sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) and aceytesalic acid (Asprin) C9H8O4, what is the salt formed?????

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Sodium carbonate can be neutralised by an acid, such as hydrochloric acid, in which case the salt is sodium chloride.

Na<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3 (aq)</sub> + 2HCl<sub> (aq)</sub> ---> 2 NaCl<sub> (aq)</sub> + CO<sub>2 (g)</sub> + H<sub>2</sub>O<sub> (l)</sub>

Aspirin, or acetylsalicylic acid will react to form acetylsalicylate salts, such as sodium acetylsalicylate - NaC<sub>9</sub>H<sub>7</sub>O<sub>4</sub> - on reaction with an approriate base. It is a monoprotic weak acid, and thus its salts are weak bases.

jim_bob2004

Thanks that helps alot, so in the balance equation, the molar ratio is 1:1 so there is no difference in the number of moles?????

kalinda

HSC
yes its just a one to one ratio and therefore no difference in moles

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lolz, cm_tutor... html codes doens't work at bos... =)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by xiao1985
lolz, cm_tutor... html codes doens't work at bos... =)
They do in the main chemistry forum, and in the Maths fora, and I'm trying to find out if there's a good reason that HTML is off in this one. :)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
And it is now on in this, and all other Chemistry sub-fora. So... we can start to type equations properly. :)

And jim_bob2004 and kalinda, the ratio in the equation I typed was actually 1:2 for Na<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub>:HCl, but it'd be 1:1 for aspirin:sodium hydroxide. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)