• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Chemical attack at UNSW (1 Viewer)

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-chemical-attack/story-e6freuy9-1226494052967
A UNIVERSITY student is in a critical condition after a chemical was allegedly thrown in his face.Emergency services were called to the University of NSW in Sydney's southeast around 6pm Thursday, after two men were involved in a fight inside the chemistry laboratory.Police allege a 25-year-old man was assaulted with a hammer before a chemical, believed to be acid, was thrown on his face.He was rushed to St Vincent's Hospital, where he remains in a critical condition.A 26-year-old man was treated for minor burns before being arrested and taken to Maroubra Police Station, where he is assisting with police inquiries.Two others were also taken to St Vincent's Hospital, where they were treated for superficial burns, police said.Police are appealing for anyone with information, who hasn't already spoken to officers to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Apparently it was Sulfuric Acid? Anybody have any idea how many moles it was? :|

halapenyo

HSC
at least it wasnt hydrofluoric acid. dead on the spot if it was.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
sulfuric acid is ditropic so I would say it's more dangerous because you have double the hydrogen ions reducing but then again I haven't done chemistry since first year so I could be completely wrong

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep. Apparently someone died of just little HF at UNSW a few years ago. lol
h2so4 >>> hf
No. Get out.
sulfuric acid is ditropic so I would say it's more dangerous because you have double the hydrogen ions reducing but then again I haven't done chemistry since first year so I could be completely wrong
Nope. HF is less acidic but more dangerous because the F- ion is so fucking strongly basic and reactive (or some shit). So, they'd be dead as fuck as soon as it enters any part of them with water (mucus membranes, blood, etc.). (learned before first year but it's in the first years course, so I dunno what you were doing in first year)............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................

Last edited:

HKspec009

HSC
Nek minnit, launching bucket loads of sodium bi-carbonate at the guy's face :p

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
So many calls about this during my chemistry practical today.

halapenyo

HSC
yep what riproot said. HF >>> H2SO4. also they use HF in breaking bad to dispose of bodies.they released the names of the victim and the accused. both Chinese international students.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
HF is a "weak" acid and H2SO4 is a "strong" acid but HF would be absorbed and break down your internal tissue, bones but this doesn't happen with H2SO4.

H2SO4 would just fuck your skin up.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
HF can easily penetrate skin, precipitating the calcium ions in your blood. Among other things this it can cause cardiac arrest and a lot of other problems.

If you spill more than a couple of mL on yourself you better hope you've got some of that HF burn gel close or bye bye.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Saw this on the news and I saw some guy in lederhosen near the ambulance and then I thought, "wait, that was last night?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)