Chem vs Phys (1 Viewer)

P

pLuvia

Man that's suprising :) There's only like 24 people doing biology at my school including me :) and there's two chemistry classes with like 24 people each and one physics class with 24 people as well

Garlic

HSC
Both are good!

If you have a choice do both, i do chem and it is reasonable easy, but some of the topics can be long and drawn out...i rekon both is good, pity my school only offerd 2 sciences at the one time, so i did chem and bio!...woulda done physics though,,,good luck bro..choose wisely..

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
both are good....

but i'd say you have to work everyday (or at least most) to achieve well... for chemistry it's very prac oriented... our teacher gives us pretty hard portfolios...

ummm, physics is pretty cool too!

klaw

HSC
do it for a while to see how the HSC course is like and then drop after you get an idea of what it's about :)

Mr.Bark

what the hell...
HSC
hey thanx for the feedback...ummm yeah i better tell you i took…looking back on last year with the large workload and standard of the work for chem...i liked the sub and was doing well in the work but didnt fire during the exams so chem is going it looks like, although i would have liked both if i had more time...but time during the hsc is a premium so i don’t think doing both then dropping half way through is really an option unless i want to overstretch myself. good luck for ’05 and ’06 and is tutoring worth it for phys?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Mr.Bark said:
good luck for ’05 and ’06 and is tutoring worth it for phys?
Thanks. Good luck to you too.
Tutoring for physics is usually hard to fine as opposed to maths. Id say it is good to get through some of the stuff in more detail and in a clear manner as physics has a lot of technical concepts.

P

pLuvia

I know three places that teach it

Pre-Uni New College
North Shore Coaching College
PRIOR - most expensive

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Physics is far superior to chemistry (p.s. I am biased).

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
The Facts:

• They don't relate at all, unless you do "Chemistry of Art" and "Quanta to Quarks" as your electives, in which case the overlap is minimal anyway
  • Chemistry is not useful for university entry unless you're actually going to do chemistry at university. Duh.
  • The chemistry course is more bloated and filled with piles of humanity-esque knowledge
  • On the other hand, chemistry DOES have a lot more practical, 'science'-ish experiments to do.

Finally, I'm also rather biased, but I think the following quote is relevant;

"In science, there is only physics; all the rest is stamp collecting" - Ernest Rutherford.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I go to preuni college and the phys teacher is really really good. He's teaching us not just phys but how to maximise your marks in hsc, aka scabbing marks from questions xD
The fees aren't too expensive and there's a few branches around sydney.

Rickdog

grand member
HSC
its just personal preference really
physics has lots of maths
chem has better practicals

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you're still not sure about which one, do both. See what they are like and then decide which one to drop. My school allows us to do subjects, then drop them as late as a few weeks before the hsc exams start.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
In Physics, you get supplied with formula sheets and most of the maths involves remember the appropriate equation off the sheet to use, then using it correctly. Physics is much more about the concepts behind the maths now. I can't really think of how to describe Chemistry at the moment, but talk to the teachers, give each a try if you can, and keep what you like more. The subject that will be better for the HSC is the one you enjoy studying more.

I_F

P

pLuvia

Chemistry is getting interesting this year
We're doing Industrial Chemistry as our elective

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
kadlil said:
Chemistry is getting interesting this year
We're doing Industrial Chemistry as our elective
we're doing industrial chemistry too!

shipwrecks sounds cooler though...

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
take that back, shipwrecks is boring as. all it is is redox reaction, atleast in industrial, you get to do mad pracs and its more interesting that learning about how the hell ships rust and corrode a billion miles under the sea....i mean......WHO CARES?!

i love chemistry, i don't like physics very much. but its ok, because most probably physics won't count towards my uai :D.....hopefully *crossed fingers*

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
Rickdog said:
its just personal preference really
physics has lots of maths
chem has better practicals
i agree, physics is better in terms of maths, but bad coz you have to know alot. chemistry is more understanding based than rote learning.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
In chem, you still have to know a fair bit of info, but it's interesting info, so it's not that hard, but in physics you have to understand it, then it's easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)