Chem question how do u do this? (1 Viewer)

tgone

HSC
ye ur right howd u do it
writing down the indicators they test:

colourless [12.0-14.0] orange
colourless [8.3-10.0] pink
yellow [6.4-8.0] red
blue-violet [3.0-5.0.] red

assuming that a 'red' solution means purely red, the first two must be colourless, i.e. pH<8.3, and the other two need to be ensured as both red, i.e. pH>8.0, then pH ∈ [8.0, 8.3]

FlueyGuey111

HSC
writing down the indicators they test:

colourless [12.0-14.0] orange
colourless [8.3-10.0] pink
yellow [6.4-8.0] red
blue-violet [3.0-5.0.] red

assuming that a 'red' solution means purely red, the first two must be colourless, i.e. pH<8.3, and the other two need to be ensured as both red, i.e. pH>8.0, then pH ∈ [8.0, 8.3]
ohhhhh ty i get it

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
BTW, in real life, that's definitely not how you should use indicators. I think this is a scientifically bad question. I can argue for practically any answer here. Keep in mind that pink is often considered a light shade of red (and if you dilute a red solution, you'll get pink).

A. red+red+dark pink+colourless (adds up to red)
B. red+red+pink+colourless (adds up to red)
C. red+red+colourless+colourless (adds up to red)
D. red+yellow/red+colourless+colourless (might end up orange but wouldn't count on it)

If you have indicators mixed that mix orange/yellow with red, you might have a lot of trouble distinguishing them, and may look very similar to red. This is why pH indicator strips have four squares. It's better to just test the sample with each indicator separately.

1665223370030.png

tgone

HSC
BTW, in real life, that's definitely not how you should use indicators. I think this is a scientifically bad question. I can argue for practically any answer here. Keep in mind that pink is often considered a light shade of red (and if you dilute a red solution, you'll get pink).

A. red+red+dark pink+colourless (adds up to red)
B. red+red+pink+colourless (adds up to red)
C. red+red+colourless+colourless (adds up to red)
D. red+yellow/red+colourless+colourless (might end up orange but wouldn't count on it)

If you have indicators mixed that mix orange/yellow with red, you might have a lot of trouble distinguishing them, and may look very similar to red. This is why pH indicator strips have four squares. It's better to just test the sample with each indicator separately.

View attachment 36498
definitely agree - i just thought this was the 'intended' way of using them by this question intepreting 'red' as the indicator purely 'red' as given, I think it's a very poor question.

wizzkids

HSC
There is a so-called "Universal Indicator" that contains a mixture of thymol blue, methyl red, bromothymol blue and phenolphthalein. The aim is to make an indicator that changes colour progressively through the range pH4 to pH14. They supply a colour chart to read off the correct pH value, but it is quite subjective. Neutral pH7 is a sort-of leaf green in Universal Indicator.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)