Chem or Bio? (1 Viewer)

Euler

This is probably aimed more at year 12s, but open for anyone to add comments :)

If you had to choose between Biology and Chemistry, which would you drop and why? I know that the choice should be a personal one, i.e. person dependent, but i'm looking for other people's opinions having been through the courses.

There is a probation period of 1 term before a decision needs to be made. Some schools don't allow the workload of 13 units for some reason.

And also, would it be silly to do catholic studies instead of SOR1?

btw, i'm asking on behalf of someone else.
Thanks.

mystify

HSC
Ive done both biology and chemistry and i really enjoyed them both but if i had no choice but to drop one it would be chemistry and id stick with bio....i found it easier, we had a more 'experienced' teacher and therefore greater/more detailed understanding of the course and doesnt involve maths/equations in the way that chem does. Having said that just remember in order to do well in your subjects you absolutely have to have an interest in them so use that special instinct of yours to guide you as well. :)

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
Well for me personally, chemistry because its a pre-requisite for the course i want and with it you can do either physics or biology.
atm im currently doing both (and phys) and they are pretty different (Apart for the content). Biology is much more like english, requiring structured answered and alot of memorised answers whereas chemistry is a little more practical and involves alot more calculations.

best thing to do would be to talk to the head teacher of science or even the biology/chemistry teachers themselves and see what they have to say.

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
I would suggest to drop the one in which the person is doing least well. Failing that and if the person is enjoying both of them equally, then it would be best to drop bio as chemistry is a prerequisite or assumed knowledge for a good deal more courses than bio.
That being said, the bio HSC course is much better than the prelim. (unlike chem which has similar courses) - so this person should "wait and see" IMHO.

nesstar

Firstly, this is a really personal decision...and it depends on what u like and what you're good at and waht u want to do at uni...

For science courses at uni, chem is usually assumed knowledge, so keep that in mind

I am doing bio and chem for HSC and I like both...but I really really love bio. The yr 12 bio course is much more interesting than the prelim course.

However, I have found coming to the end of the year now with UAI estimates that even though I have done really really well in bio, it has turned out to be my worst subject after scaling. I know that u shouldn't worry about scaling too much, but if ur looking for a really really sky high UAI, then it is really important (luckily, I'm not!)

Regardless of scaling, I'm glad i did bio...it is my fave subject and now I know that's what I want to do for the rest of my life! So, stick with your passion!

Euler

thanks for the replies.

the decision really should depend on which one is more enjoyable.

Sportsgal - is SOR1 not difficult even for someone who is not catholic?

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
Euler said:

If you had to choose between Biology and Chemistry, which would you drop and why? I know that the choice should be a personal one, i.e. person dependent, but i'm looking for other people's opinions having been through the courses.

There is a probation period of 1 term before a decision needs to be made. Some schools don't allow the workload of 13 units for some reason.

Thanks.
i personal may select biolofy. mainly because chem has proven ( for me) toi be fairly hard and uninteresting, so if picking between chem and bio, i would go for bio. If you are personally picking though, think back to year 10 science and think whether you liked chem topics more or bio ones ...

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
Euler said:

Thanks.
i personal may select biolofy. mainly because chem has proven ( for me) toi be fairly hard and uninteresting, so if picking between chem and bio, i would go for bio. If you are personally picking though, think back to year 10 science and think whether you liked chem topics more or bio ones ...

Mushy18

HSC
Yes, i think HSC biology way better than chem. It's much much easier to learn and absorb, in my opinion. The practicals are also much more interesting than the chemistry ones.
But at the end of the day, the decision is all up to you...just choose the one enjoy more and which u think will help u in the future.
Good luck.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Depends on if you think you can handle chem, if you can, do chem, if you can't, then do bio.

derek_

HSC
if you look it on the side of scaling, i think chem does better

capsicum

HSC
i personally like bio better but chem scales higher. if i were to drop, i'd drop chem because i know i'll go better in a subject i have interest in. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)