Chem Marking . . . (1 Viewer)

munchiecrunchie

HSC
I just got a chem assessment task back and I was really annoyed at the way the marked one of the questions.

The question basically gave us a diagram and told us to " name product X", which was sodium carbonate.

I, however, wrote Na2CO3 , and was marked wrong - apparently this wasn't naming it.

If there are legitimate grounds for that answer being wrong, then fine, sure, I get that, but I reckon that that is a really pointless and unfair marking scheme.

Is there anything I can do to perhaps get them to review the marking of the question? Or is that going to be a waste of time . . .

Yamiyo

HSC
No, it's fairly common to have a mark taken off for that. If it says identify, I guess you could give the formula, but if it says name, you must actually give the name. No harm in arguing for the mark though.

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
Appeal for a mark if they dont give it, dont make the same mistake again.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Heaps of schools are really strict with things like that so you dont do them in the HSC. If you hadnt been marked wrong you'd probably do the same thing in the HSC if the question came up, but now chances are you wont because you are so aware of it

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Seeing as Na2CO3 is a formula and not a name, it seems pretty fair to me. Just learn from your mistake.

However, if they said identify the unknown chemical, then you can use formula.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
ok, thanks guys, i think i'll just get over it and not make the same mistake again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)