Chem help (1 Viewer)

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
I don't understand how to find the electron figuration of transition metals with electron >18.
I know that the the 4th shell fills in before the 3rd but I am not sure of how to get these answers.

Can someone please explain how to find the electron figuration for Eg. Iron ( 2,8,14,2) , Colbalt (2,8,15,2) , Nickel..

Thanks!

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
You pretty much need to know about subshells to explain the pattern, and I don't think subshells are in the Prelim (or even HSC) Chemistry syllabus.

ishfish

Lord of the Fries
HSC
Have you heard of the 2n^2 rule? It basically sets the following number of electrons to fill each shell:
2:8:18:32 (obviously this rule is not a clear cut distinction but it should do)

The only strange metal one I can think of is Potassium. Which is not 2:8:9 but 2:8:8:1 <-- a more stable form!
However, finding the E.C of Transition metals is beyond the scope of the Preliminary Chem syllabus. It has something to do with multiple oxidation states etc. Although I'm sure chemistry of art (hsc elective) does cover that.

Look through this, if you are determined to learn it. Hope it helps.

http://www.hsc.csu.edu.au/chemistry/options/art/2769/ch984.htm#c1

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
I have learnt of that rule . Thanks ! I'll check it out now

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Because some elements are quirky like that, I dont think we are actually tested on elements that don't follow the 'standard configuration'. Dont quote me on this but if we are taught this I think the valencies are given to us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)