Chem assesment task one part 2. Help would be appreciated (1 Viewer)

crazypanda

HSC
what radioisotopes would you recomend to research for its use in medicine
and one for industry.
would carbon 14 be a good one??

raniya

HSC
use podium or stratium and uranium is da best for industrial use no doubt talk abt nuclear reactions usin uranium

appletooth

HSC
Podium and stratium aren't elements... And I'm not sure about the uses of uranium, or if it's used in industry at all, but it's not the 'ideal' one to use for an example of an industrial radioisotope in HSC chemistry. Also I'm not sure about carbon-14 either, but it's best to pick a common one that gives you plenty to talk about in exams - this often involves relating its chemical properties (half life, chemical versatility, the type of radiation it emits) to its uses.

There is plenty of information available about technetium-99m (medicine) and cobalt-60 (industry) in textbooks if you have a look around. I'd recommend using those. :)

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
crazypanda said:
what radioisotopes would you recomend to research for its use in medicine
and one for industry.
would carbon 14 be a good one??
best ones are:

med: Technitium-99m (yes, the m is meant to be there) - used in medical DIAGNOSIS (ie to detect blood clots, cancer, etc, NOT TREATMENT!!)
ind: Strontium-90 - used as a thichness gauge in the manufacture of paper and metal sheets

all good textbooks have info on these

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
I'm with Pwnage. I used technitium 99m for my medicinal radioisotope. I can't remember the one I used for industrial tho... Something to do with detecting fractures in aircraft components... Cobalt, maybe...?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Pwnage101 said:
best ones are:

med: Technitium-99m (yes, the m is meant to be there) - used in medical DIAGNOSIS (ie to detect blood clots, cancer, etc, NOT TREATMENT!!)
ind: Strontium-90 - used as a thichness gauge in the manufacture of paper and metal sheets

all good textbooks have info on these
+1 This

Also look into Cobalt-60, I'm fairly certain it's used in medicine as a biological carrier.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
as stated, yes cobalt-60 is another common radioisotope and is used in BOTH medicine (to KILL the cancer) and Industry (to detect cracks in structures like jet engines and probe the structural integrity of other pieces of equipment)

raniya

HSC
use uraniun as uranium is used in nuclear in dustrtry n u can talk abt half life n all those stuffs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)