• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Check out a few websites for me. (1 Viewer)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
I'm fairly new to web design and the like and don't have a registred domain name so I'm hitching a ride on my fathers webspace and utilising a few free hosting companies, so forgive any slowness in load times.

From this site URL (Sublime Designs) you should be able to access Gemsce.net, Brennan Air, and Henrietta's Bookshop - three other completed sites I've made. Their respective URL's are linked to on the main page of the below site. Sublime Designs is currently just a test site, and if I get a positive response I'll consider making it my personal homepage, as opposed to another template.

http://www.waynespicer.com.au/sublime/

All criticisms are welcome, keep in mind the interior links to navigate Sublime Designs have not been activated. If anyone notices any browser discrepancies I'd like to hear of them as well. It will be nice to hear some internet-savvy opinions.

Lastly, I know there is another web designer who frequents these forums. Xciting designs I think was his site handle, it would be excellent to hear his opinion as well.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
All criticisms are welcome, keep in mind the interior links to navigate Sublime Designs have not been activated. If anyone notices any browser discrepancies I'd like to hear of them as well. It will be nice to hear some internet-savvy opinions.
First things first: you've paid attention to spelling, so thumbs up for that. Also, all pages worked perfectly in Firefox.

Sublime Designs is visually pretty. As there's not much else there, that's all I can really say.

The Brennan Air site is very nice. The only suggestion I have is that you use the onMouseover tag to make the menu buttons change colour when the mousepasses over them - it helps people know when they're actually about to click a link. You could also add title and alt tags to all the images (especially "View Products"), and not just the menu. Apart from that, very, very nice. :)

Gemsce.net needs something on the front page to tell visitors what it is. Even just an extension of the blurb at the top - the latest news is nice, but new visitors come and go "WTH?". Of course, if this is intentional, leave as is.

Henrietta's Bookshop is very nice. You could make the navigation links on the left larger, to make it easier to move around the site. Apart from that, very well done. :)

Overall, great job, especially for someone who's relatively new to web design. Well done. :)

I_F

P

pLuvia

I'm not sure if it's just IE, but the link to Company Profile doesn't work
Actually none of those links work at all, the ones on the left that is. The link to the other websites are working fine.
But overall you have done pretty well keep up the good work !

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
"All criticisms are welcome, keep in mind the interior links to navigate Sublime Designs have not been activated. If anyone notices any browser discrepancies I'd like to hear of them as well. It will be nice to hear some internet-savvy opinions."

Thanks for the comments insert-username. Sublime is the 7th site I've made since first writing <html> in notepad so I'm still learning constantly and trying to keep up with the flashier sites out there.

Lavenderpup

HSC
Sublime looks very good for your 7th site =) Its vibrant but not to the point of neon. As for domains *points to http://freebe.be. Free .be (belgium) domain for a year without any ads seems good =P*
However... your other designs tend to lack seamless-ness if there's such a term ^^;
In the Brennan Air one, the buttons don't match the colour scheme and there's (in firefox anyway) the very obvious line between the two images and the header image doesn't really add to the layout but the bit below it looks good =)

Gemsce.net is simple and that's good but it doesn't seem 'flashy' enough for the design bit of your motto which seems to be the only site indicator. Rather basic blend on the top. It might make sense if it were a blog layout..

Henrietta's Bookshop's splash page image is choppy and the feathering used doesn't appear to work right if its choppy =P Perhaps that splash could also do with some of the same css because that individual link in bright blue looks lonely =P

Other than that the latter two have borders around the images (navigation and header) yet not on the tables....
But very nice layouts you have =D
By the way, I'm just going at mega constructive criticism mode here aka. trying to be nitpicky lol

Last edited:

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Lavenderpup said:
Sublime looks very good for your 7th site =) Its vibrant but not to the point of neon. As for domains *points to http://freebe.be. Free .be (belgium) domain for a year without any ads seems good =P*
However... your other designs tend to lack seamless-ness if there's such a term ^^;
In the Brennan Air one, the buttons don't match the colour scheme and there's (in firefox anyway) the very obvious line between the two images and the header image doesn't really add to the layout but the bit below it looks good =)

Gemsce.net is simple and that's good but it doesn't seem 'flashy' enough for the design bit of your motto which seems to be the only site indicator. Rather basic blend on the top. It might make sense if it were a blog layout..

Henrietta's Bookshop's splash page image is choppy and the feathering used doesn't appear to work right if its choppy =P Perhaps that splash could also do with some of the same css because that individual link in bright blue looks lonely =P

Other than that the latter two have borders around the images (navigation and header) yet not on the tables....
But very nice layouts you have =D
By the way, I'm just going at mega constructive criticism mode here aka. trying to be nitpicky lol
Wow, thanks for that Lavenderpup.

Your criticism seems to fit in with the order in which I've developed these sites, and I'm most pleased you find Sublime Designs good.

As for Brennan Air, I've always wondered if anyone would notice the spillover and mismatchup of lines in the navigation buttons. It's bothered me for ages but I don't know where my .png's for those images got to.

Gemsce.net was before I really mastered tables. The entire homepage is one single giant table all split up into cells, making it super volatile to the slightest changes lol.

Henrietta's Bookshop's splash page is only there so I could avoid having adds on the subsequent pages and also pimp myself a little with saying 'this site is a template'. Hence the shoddyness. And yes, those lines you mentioned around navigation and affiliates have been fixed, they'll be uploaded tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your comments.

edit: the frog is a stock photo from http://www.sxc.hu/
they have many quite proffessional photos entirely for free, all they ask is for some crediting if you use their image. Well worth it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)