Charging laptop batteries (1 Viewer)

Truly_bored

HSC
Hey guys,

Sorry I'm kinda computer illiterate, that's why always asking for suggestions, opinions and help.

Now, with a laptop, is there a specific amount of time to recharge the battery? Or do you just simply put the battery into the laptop and then plug it into a power outlet, and as you use the laptop, the battery charges itself?

Thanks.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Specific charge time depends on the make and model, but usually takes several hours for a full charge, longer for new batteries.

Most laptops let you use the laptop and charge it at the same time.

Truly_bored

HSC
Does anyone know estimated time to charge a new Compaq battery?
I forgot to ask the salesperson, -.-

sunny

meh.
HSC
When you open it up theres usually a warning on the battery telling you to charge it (usually) overnight before use. Its not a big deal, you can use it at the same time since its charging anyway.

Lithium ion batteries are shipped about half charged to help improve the shelf life of the battery.

For the first couple of charge cycles you might notice the battery lasting as long as it should - this is normal as the batteries goes through a "break in" period.

You should read the section on batteries in the manual as well, since they would have hints on how to prolong battery life.

Truly_bored

HSC
Ahh, ok. Cause I had a look in the mauals and the booklets, but it didn't say anywhere, :S

santaslayer

HSC
Truly_bored said:
Ahh, ok. Cause I had a look in the mauals and the booklets, but it didn't say anywhere, :S
Are you sure? If so, Compaq just sux. EVERY manual should have an estimated charge time.

For first charge, you can do it overnight. (8hrs or so)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Some batteries like Nickel Cadmium prefer full discharges to prolong battery lifespan. Note the definition of battery lifespan is different to battery life.

Lithium-ion, however prefers partial discharges. So to enhance lifespan, try not to put it through frequent full-discharges.

klh

HSC
its sorta similar with Acer, they dont mention anyhting about times or anything except a tiny little note saying it only charges while the computer is being used...

Have you searched the Compaq/HP website? they migth have info aobtu charging, or just ring up the store and ask fo rthe dude who sold it to you.

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
I charged my compaq overnight, then did a few cycles (down to 5% or less) and the battery life improved fairly well. I get about 4 hours out of it

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
Speaking of laptops, what does everybody think of Dell's?

How's the battery life on them?

Collin

HSC
N/A
fnkychk said:
Speaking of laptops, what does everybody think of Dell's?

How's the battery life on them?
I've got an Inspiron 6000. Decent laptop.

Battery life isn't exactly dependent on brand, mate.

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
Apple PowerBook G4 15" HD - i get about 4.5 - 5 hours out of it - pretty happy with that!

King Tut

HSC
N/A
Depending on the laptop make and model it will need to be charged for a certain time. The time is always stated in the instructions manual and even if you can't see to find it, there are plenty of ways to find out on the web. Otherwise, just give customer care a quick ring and hope to god you're not put on hold

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)