Changing Self: Related Materials? (1 Viewer)

Killah33

I'm doing MY PLACE as the prescribed text.

What are everyone's suggestions for Related Materials?

I personally so far have the film "American Beauty" and that's about it. What are everyone's opinions? If you have stuff other than a film it would be sweet as.

esther

HSC
im using anastasia... the video but if uve already got a movie use something else... um... i hab a newspaper article and a short story...
if u want another movie, supposedly matrix is a good one to do aswell

jayjay

No offense by MY PLACE is totally unrelated to those type of movies. For American Beauty for example, the context is completely irrelevant to the context of MY PLACE, and there are no common themes between them at all

I dont know how youre gonna link them together. I guess the father does change to accept who he is and the rest of the movie is just garbage

jayjay

Sally changes from someone who lacks identity to someone who does, at the same time having a sense of acceptance and pride for the endurance of her race. THe MATRIX is totally out of line. MAYBE American Pie is a little better than that at least.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
it doesnt matter if the contexts are different...remember, examiners are looking for a variety of texts...just so long as u can correlate them back to ur argument and ur prescribed
im using the song With Arms Wide Open - creed and a poem i found thats similar to sky high and my place (progressive changes)

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
>im using the song With Arms Wide Open - creed

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!! YOU WHAT?!!?

Ripping off an assessment task, eh? :D

I'm using a song by Nat. Imbruglia, "Torn."
The persona comes to realise her situation, etc.

Meh.

lizzies85

i use sky high, as my text from the stimulus booklet, and then six degrees of seperation, which is another text on the list and the movie gattaca. both the supplementary texts represent someone tryin to find their identity which is sort of like what sally is doin through her book and everything, they do link together really well, i just ant remember how, which could be a problem

Confuzzled?!

HSC
hey..r u ppl overlapping in text types?!?

like...i mean....

u know how they say...'if ur using a film..dont' use another one'.....

??
>_<
i mean..prescribed text i have Gwen harwood, then i have THe door & Sky High & then i need how many other related texts?
i've got "miss congeniality" n...then i'm on a blank.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Confuzzled?!

i mean..prescribed text i have Gwen harwood, then i have THe door & Sky High & then i need how many other related texts?
i've got "miss congeniality" n...then i'm on a blank.
use another one, preferrably a narrative or something different to ur others

but be careful with using both sky and door, coz most of the time, questions ask for ONE text from stimuls

and yes Robbo, i ripped it from my assesment coz i got 14/15 for it from memory

Dan_the_man

I'm probably going to use American Beauty too- links in good with Harwood. Also "Betterman" by John Butler Trio, Not sure about the stimulus book yet :S... why is it bad to use two movies anyway?

Confuzzled?!

HSC
i'm have The Door n Sky high...coz some people say u only need one text from stimulus, some people say you need 2.
so i'm gonna learn both..incase i need a backup or i find one of the two is more relevant to the question =)

yes.....i'm looking for a song lyric...how many self texts do we need?

tinkerbell

hey im doing american beauty as well to relate to prize giving but does anyone have some notes on american beauty?? i dont quite understand what change to talk about!!

tinility

so for changing self we should do sky high and the door? cause i was thinking only really sky high is about changing self ...

and my related material is really good :D im using american history x (he goes from bad to good) and then the BOOK / NOVELLA Apt pupil (he goes from good to bad) lol and bc i love both of those sooooooo much, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to write a stupid essay!

thats why im looking for a hanson / matchbox 20 / lifehouse / michelle branch song depicting changing self so i will be soooooooo looking forward to the stupid exam lol

Lauren :D

GlittaStar

how many related texts do we need?...I'm really overwhelmed with all these Harwood poems + stimulus book + related material! I was thinking I should write about 3 poems, 2 booklet texts and 2-3 related...but i don't know if i can fit all that in in 40 mins, cos they want depth too! ARGH!

so... how many related texts are you writing about?

Lauren you should use Apt Pupil for powerplay too!
I don't think I would use more than one piece from the stimulus booklet simply because there's no time. Glitta Star, as long as you use one piece from the stimulus booklet and more than one piece of related material it's ok. I do two poems, but one of them is Father and Child so it's sort of like two. I'm pretty sure two is enough though.
Also, are people intergrating their related material or doing seperate paragraphs for each text?

Last edited:

Jellymonsta

i tried integrating my material, and structure my essays by theme/point, but i couldnt get sufficient details about my texts onto paper, and i just kept waffling on, so that my essays began to look like cheap philosophical debates....
i find it easier to go by paragraphs for each text. but if you can go the other way it would probably be better; bear in mind how many papers the markers are going to have to go through - even though i dont think it is meant to affect your marks, if your papers are interesting/different they will probably be more generous in allocating marks.

mastermind

Originally posted by Jellymonsta
i tried integrating my material, and structure my essays by theme/point, but i couldnt get sufficient details about my texts onto paper, and i just kept waffling on, so that my essays began to look like cheap philosophical debates....
i find it easier to go by paragraphs for each text. but if you can go the other way it would probably be better
Yeah, I agree with Jellymonsta. I find it easier to write paragraph by paragraph, and have done so in previous assessments and the trials, but haven't really got good results. I'm thinking about integrating it all, but i'll probably have the same problems as jellymonsta, because the ppl who have got better results seem to have nice, flowing essays about change with references to texts to support statements, rather than an essay of examples of change in different texts.

Crazy Freak

Our teachers tend to tell us a lot of really useless stuff that can sound useful at the time. I am studying Gwen Harwood so I will be learning about three poems, deciding which two relate to the question more and writing about them. We can be asked to write on either one or two Stimulus Booklet texts, so learn two and if no number is given, write about the most appropriate only. 2 related texts is all that is needed if they say related texts or they may even say one or two. If you don't have enough time to answer the question, just cut one out, or write about it in bullet points before the conclusion. You won't get marked down at all unless you dont fufil the requirements of the Question. Any help? Now, after I have sounded so prepared, HELP!!! I only have one additional text, 'What Dreams may Come' to relate to at Mornington but I have no idea. Does anyone know of a song or poem relating to the Glass jar or Mother who gave me life? Thankyou!!! i hope it helps!

nicole2511

i reckon:

-> two poems (assuming you are doing Harwood)
-> one text from the stimulus booklet (im quite sure)
-> two additional texts of your own choosing

that's quite a bit for 40 minutes

gd lck ;)

and i also think that intergrating your texts can make an essay "flow" better, but if you cant do it VERY well, than it just turns out badly with your texts not covered properly and confusion sets in

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)