Change school hours for teens (1 Viewer)

HSC
JaredR said:
I never said anything about removing the timetable system...studies show that most children learn more effectively in the early morning anyway.
yes. children. but children have different biological clocks to 16/17 yos.

i dont go out on the weekends or anything. i just merely find it impossible to sleep before 10:30 at night.

i honestly dont have any ability to use higher thought processes during the first two periods unless i have a drama prac first.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
7am-1pm?
Are you nuts?
Walk to school in the dark, sa-weeet.
Anything before 10:30 is quite bad.

sbeydoun91

In za box, which is
HSC
N/A
I don't see much benefit in starting school later on in the day, because students would most likely simply choose to sleep later on at night as a result. I know this would be the case for me. Besides, once you're in your senior years you often get to start late a few days anyway.

HSC
JaredR said:
Keep the hours the same. 6 hour days... just statr those 6 hour days earlier.... even if fractionally...

7am - 1pm.

Yes this sounds daunting at the moment... but society would adapt.
I thought the whole idea of the article was to change the school hours to be later to allow for adolescents to get enough sleep.
But earlier ?
That shit is whack.

Jess007

HSC
i reckon those hours are good.... finishing at 3 sucks lol

HSC
Jess007 said:
i reckon those hours are good.... finishing at 3 sucks lol
Yeah, I think it may sound like a good idea, but in practice wouldn't work for everybody.
I know people who have to get up around 6 every morning to catch a bus to get to school before 9.
Changing the hours from 7-1 would mean they would have to get up earlier, therefore disrupting their sleep and not really increasing their productivity at all.
Eventually we would live in a world where you go to bed when prime possum tells you to.

Jess007

HSC
yeh thats true, i guess the whole bus/trains would have to be reorganised thats why my school has shitty times like really recise ecasue the train and bus services near by are near those times.

omg, my dad still jokes about that whenever he sees it hes like ' come on jess, time for bed'

gahhh dads..embarassing lol but great :p

Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
Yeah, I think it may sound like a good idea, but in practice wouldn't work for everybody.
I know people who have to get up around 6 every morning to catch a bus to get to school before 9.
Changing the hours from 7-1 would mean they would have to get up earlier, therefore disrupting their sleep and not really increasing their productivity at all.
Eventually we would live in a world where you go to bed when prime possum tells you to.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
7 AM to 1 PM sounds pretty good.

neeksy45

HSC
Aplus said:
7 AM to 1 PM sounds pretty good.
pretty sure that sounds like torture.
i hate getting up early.
that would mean we are up before dawn to get to school on time.
that is whacked.
i thought the study proved teenagers should start school later??

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
If it's 7-1, hurrah for waking up at fucking 530 in the morning everyday and at 430 in the morning for every Extension 2 class.

boris

Banned
HSC
get the hell over it and be like every other teenager who has managed to survive going to school during daylight hours.

HSC
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
maybe if they had two sessions a day? an early and later session. that way people could choose which was more convenient for their sleep. but of course, that type of thing would be a nightmare to timetable, and there aren't enough teachers, because understandably, none of them would want to work two sessions.

writer'sblock

HSC
School for seniors should be like uni.
A matrix time table, turning up only when you need to. Having approriate length periods for each subject. Scattered from 10 to 5:30. That way you get huge breaks, and better timetabling organistion. As well as having chances to work when you want to; early maths or late maths et cetera.
There needs to be a balance between student's sleeping patterns, and schooling.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
why do you want huge breaks?? it's better to get it all over and done with. sif you're gonna study during your breaks.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
some people are arguing earlier.. some say later.. so how about we compromise and just keep it the same lol :rofl:?

no but seriously.. if studies do actually prove we'd be better off starting earlier then that might be the right way to go imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)