Chances of getting into international studies? (1 Viewer)

Alex499

HSC
I got a UAI of 87.8 (bloody maths dragged me down). I'm eligible for the full 5 extra points because i got bands 5 and 6 in everything else.

I'm pretty sure I won't get into Sydney as they're estimating a UAI of 96.

Sound&Fury

Éminence grise
HSC
There is a small-ish chance that you will be able to get in, although you should brace yourself for disappointment. In 2006, the UAI for this degree was 91.40. However, the UAI has gone up quite a bit in the past two years. It was 94.20 last year and around 93 the year before.

Since I don't think UNSW offered DFEE places for this degree, I doubt that the scrapping of DFEE will affect the UAI at all. You can probably find out about the level of intake this year by contacting the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. If they've increased the number of places, the UAI will come down (assuming that the demand has stayed constant).

You could also hope that the demand for this course (and hence the UAI) will be lower because people might realise how substandard the Arts faculty at UNSW is becoming. Given how people see the UAI and the Go8 universities these days though, I doubt it.

If you really want to do International Studies, you could just do an Arts degree and transfer into International Studies at the first available opportunity. International Studies is basically just a rebranded and restricted Arts degree anyway, with the only notable difference being a guaranteed exchange place.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)