Chances of b6 in English? (1 Viewer)

comeback6969

HSC
Well, I have just gotten back my term 2 task with a appaling result of 50% ranked dead last. Apparently 80% of my handwriting was ineligible. Crying hard on the inside since it kills my atar a bit and mental.

I am averaging 55% after two tasks, probably deadlast. I tried to drop to standard but teacher won't let me. I lowkey don't believe im that bad at English just that I always panic and come underprepared which is not a valid excuse at all and I've accepted my fault but now I'm just thinking on how to move on from this. I lowkey got an A in English in year 11 but I don't know why ive just totally neglected English.

I was thinking of all the possible scenarios such as if I somehow average 95 my next two. My overall mark would be 70-75 which will scale to 80ish and then I would have to pull a crazy external mark. But this is also extremely unlikely and just my copium lol.

Should I stop being delusional and just work at my own pace, perhaps focus on my other subjects more. I do somewhat believe i can achieve great results but I just totally killed and neglected English and now its biting me in the ass and its just so hard now to make up for it. But on the inside I really do want to band 6 even though it seems quite impossible. My school averages around 3 btw.

Hopefully someone can give me some hope or a reality check just feeling a bit lost and dumbfounded

Last edited:

comeback6969

HSC
It really killed off my mental and motivation a bit. i had improved significantly for all my subjects and was on path to a good atar and perhaps a band 6 in all my subjects. But English really slapped me in the face and I didn't expect to do that bad as well to be honest. H

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Have you been told that your handwriting was illegible by your teacher only? Would your peers and other people close to you agree? If not, it is likely that this was a one-time situation and that it is unlikely that this issue would resurface in your HSC exam. However, if more people find your handwriting illegible, then this would be something that you should work on.

It seems that your teacher is trying to direct you towards a more rational decision (in this case, keeping English Advanced), as opposed to dropping to English Standard and not only having to study different prescribed texts, but also subjecting yourself to its inferior alignment. As a result, you should probably keep English Advanced and shift your focus to improving as much as possible by performing favourably in your upcoming tasks.

While it essentially indicates whether you did well in the internal part of a subject, the actual value of your overall mark in your school-based assessment tasks/exams does not matter, the rank that it reflects does. Achieving a mark as high as 95 in your next two tasks would most likely enable you to place at the higher end of your cohort, which would strengthen your position as you approach your English Advanced HSC exam, for which you must also prepare to the best of your ability as you mentioned.

I think that you first need to take a deep breath and relax. It would be difficult to address this situation in your current state of mind. Once you feel a bit better, you should try to develop a more effective study strategy for English Advanced (including taking it more seriously altogether) while doing your best to maintain your performance in your other subjects.

In terms of bands, you might still be able to achieve a band 6, although I think that you should avoid overwhelming yourself with the pressure that might come with trying to work towards a band 6. Even if you end up not achieving a band 6 in English Advanced, it is not that big of an issue, as a band 5 is still a good result, not to mention that you will hopefully achieve band 6's in your other subjects anyway, which would be a fantastic achievement.

You are obviously not delusional. You are clearly an ambitious student who cares about his performance and that in itself is commendable. I wish you the very best of luck with the remainder of your HSC journey.

I hope this helps! :D

carrotsss

HSC
Adding onto what jimmy said, remember that the HSC isn’t all about band 6s. A high band 5 will achieve pretty much the exact same effect on your ATAR as a band 6. and is still miles better than the low band 5/band 4 you’ll get if you give up.

Some other things of note:
  • As Jimmy said, raw internal marks don’t matter much, it’s your rankings that do. You’ll find that unless your cohort is really good, people will drop a lot of marks in the trials, and if you do well in them, you could almost completely negate your bad performance in these tests. Additionally, the tests were likely weighted at only 20% each (for a total of 40%), whereas your trials are usually weighted at 30% of your internal mark.
  • No matter what, trying really hard in the HSC can massively boost your overall mark. Even if you managed to get your rank high enough over trials to get an internal band 5, it’s absolutely possible to do well in the HSC exams and get a band 6, plenty of people do it on this forum

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Well, I have just gotten back my term 2 task with a appaling result of 50% ranked dead last. Apparently 80% of my handwriting was ineligible. Crying hard on the inside since it kills my atar a bit and mental.
first i think you need to start working on your handwriting during these holidays. you could write the best analysis or the best creative ever, state-ranker worthy but it's not going to get the mark you deserve because the teachers can't award marks to a piece they can't read. you need to start changing your handwriting to something that's legible, it doesn't have to be pretty and neat and aesthetic it just needs to be readable, and you need to work on being able to sustain that readable handwriting when writing fast and under exam conditions. you have these holidays and the first half of next term to improve (eg. find a pen that you can write legibly with, start by writing slow and focus on neatness daily until you can gradually get faster and then have decently neat and legible writing

I am averaging 55% after two tasks, probably deadlast. I tried to drop to standard but teacher won't let me. I lowkey don't believe im that bad at English just that I always panic and come underprepared which is not a valid excuse at all and I've accepted my fault but now I'm just thinking on how to move on from this. I lowkey got an A in English in year 11 but I don't know why ive just totally neglected English.

I was thinking of all the possible scenarios such as if I somehow average 95 my next two. My overall mark would be 70-75 which will scale to 80ish and then I would have to pull a crazy external mark. But this is also extremely unlikely and just my copium lol.

Should I stop being delusional and just work at my own pace, perhaps focus on my other subjects more. I do somewhat believe i can achieve great results but I just totally killed and neglected English and now its biting me in the ass and its just so hard now to make up for it. But on the inside I really do want to band 6 even though it seems quite impossible. My school averages around 3 btw.

Hopefully someone can give me some hope or a reality check just feeling a bit lost and dumbfounded
you getting an A in english in year 11 shows that you're perfectly capable of doing well in english this year, and that you can definitely get a 95 in the last two tasks and a good external mark. i'm not going to try and give false hope but personally i'm not too sure that a band 6 may or may not be possible, but who knows, but you're 100% capable of getting a high band 5, which someone's already said above will still have roughly the same effect on your atar as a low band 6. if you panic and come underprepared and you neglect english, then that's your problem right there, and luckily in my opinion it's not that hard to fix that. i think you could start by reading your texts from the previous modules again during the holidays, then make notes that you could use in preparation for trials (maybe even an essay if you're up for it). then read your module b text and go over the rubric, try to do some personal analysis on your own before school starts. there's no point in doing well for all your other subjects if you underperform in the only subject that is definitely, 100% scaled for your atar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)