Challenge Polynomials problem for current students (1 Viewer)

AGB

HSC
i just did it again and got 5x^3 + 9x^2 + 15x - 25 = 0....i think it might be wrong....it doesnt match xaymas answer and he is hardly ever wrong :(

grimreaper

HSC
I dont have time to put working up, but is the answer to question 2: x^3 + 9x^2 + 30x - 5??

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Xayma
Is it x<sup>3</sup>+19/5 x<sup>2</sup> -6x +5? If Im wrong Ill recheck my working but otherwise I will post it up.
Originally posted by AGB
i just did it again and got 5x^3 + 9x^2 + 15x - 25 = 0....i think it might be wrong....it doesnt match xaymas answer and he is hardly ever wrong :(
Originally posted by grimreaper
I dont have time to put working up, but is the answer to question 2: x^3 + 9x^2 + 30x - 5??
Sorry, but no to all of you. :)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Hmm I was rushing through it Ill check the expansion again. Yeah I stuffed up the expansion Ill go edit it above.

Ok heres my working:

If they are the roots.

f(x)=(x-ab/c)(x-ac/b)(x-bc/a)
=x<sup>3</sup> -x<sup>2</sup>([a<sup>2</sup>b<sup>2</sup>+a<sup>2</sup>c<sup>2</sup>+b<sup>2</sup>c<sup>2</sup>]/abc) +(a<sup>2</sup>+b<sup>2</sup>+c<sup>2</sup>)-a<sup>2</sup>b<sup>2</sup>c<sup>2</sup>/abc
=x<sup>3</sup> -x<sup>2</sup>([a<sup>2</sup>b<sup>2</sup>+a<sup>2</sup>c<sup>2</sup>+b<sup>2</sup>c<sup>2</sup>]/abc) +x(a<sup>2</sup>+b<sup>2</sup>+c<sup>2</sup>)-abc
=x<sup>3</sup>-x<sup>2</sup>({[ab+ac+bc]<sup>2</sup>-2[a+b+c][ab+ac+bc]}/abc)+x([a+b+c]<sup>2</sup>-2[ab+ac+bc])-abc

But a+b+c=0
ab+ac+bc=3
abc=5

Subbing in gets x<sup>3</sup>-9/5x-6x-5

Originally posted by AGB
doesnt match xaymas answer and he is hardly ever wrong :(
Why do people keep saying that, I dont even do 4 unit.

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Xayma
x<sup>3</sup>-9/5x-6x-5
is the correct answer but for a typo in the last line - it should be x<sup>3</sup> - 9x<sup>2</sup> / 5 - 6x - 5 = 0, or alternately,
5x<sup>3</sup> - 9x<sup>2</sup> - 30x - 25 = 0

Extn 2 people - can you find an easier way to do this?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
is the correct answer but for a typo in the last line - it should be x<sup>3</sup> - 9x<sup>2</sup> / 5 - 6x - 5 = 0, or alternately,
5x<sup>3</sup> - 9x<sup>2</sup> - 30x - 25 = 0
Forgot that, I had it on the paper I worked it out on :(.

DcM

HSC
how do u do the second part of the question of the first page question?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by DcM
how do u do the second part of the question of the first page question?
I'm not going to say anything until someone offers an attempt. AGB is working on it, as (I guess) are others, and no one benefits from me just stating the answer. :)

DcM

HSC
ahhh just had dinner....which was great..

anyway another way to do q1 on page on is:

P(x) = ax^4 + bx^3 + cx + d

P'(x) = 4ax^3 + 3bx^2 + c

P"(x) = 6x(2ax + b)

:. x = -b/2a

P(-b/2a) = a(-b/2a)^4 + b(-b/2a) + c(-b/2a) + d

= - b^4 - 8a^2bc + 16a^3d

sum of roots: -3b/2a + @ = -b/a

:. @ = b/2a

product of roots: (-b/2a)^3 * b/2a = d/a

:. -b^4 = 16a^3d

sub back into previous eqn: - b^4 - 8a^2bc + 16a^3d = 0

which = 32a^3d - 8a^2bc = 0

factorise.. 8a^2 (4ad - bc) = 0

:. 4ad = bc

is that the way u did it?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Bah Im stuck on the second one on the first page.

Heres where Im stuck at (probably gone by the completly wrong way)

Let w=alpha
x=beta
y=gamma
z=delta

w<sup>2</sup>xy+w<sup>2</sup>xz+w<sup>2</sup>yz... the rest is similar just the squared jumps across to the x then y then z etc... =0

Im trying to prove that for that to equal 0 w=x=y=-z

Last edited:

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
aarrrgggh!

can people not say blah question on x page? cause I've set my setting so that it shows 40 posts per page. and i get confused. Just quote the question please. thanks

and out of curiousity, why don't you do 4u xayma? i'd think you'd be good enough. mmm

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Long story, the teachers reackon I wouldn't be good enough to do it via correspondance (due to various issues) and there was staff issues so they couldn't run a class with just me in it. They said if there were multiple people doing it I could do it but...

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Xayma, here's a hint. Consider for a moment the question you are trying to answer. It was:
Is it true to say that any polynomial of this form whose coefficients are related by 4ad = bc must have a triple root? Explain.
You are effectively trying to answer the question "prove that it is true to say that any polynomial of this form whose coefficients are related by 4ad = bc must have a triple root". These are not the same thing.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Im trying to do the explain bit, if I can disprove it, it isnt true to say (or am I stuffed up on the wording again).

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
In order to disprove it, you only need provide a single counter-example... And i'm getting dinner, back in 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour. :)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
You are effectively trying to answer the question "prove that it is true to say that any polynomial of this form whose coefficients are related by 4ad = bc must have a triple root". These are not the same thing.
hrm, I couldn't think of a way to answer the other question, so i also tried to answer "prove that it is true to say that any polynomial of this form whose coefficients are related by 4ad = bc must have a triple root". And i got nowhere. :mad:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
In order to disprove it, you only need provide a single counter-example...
And thats what Im trying to show. But I cant find any :( Wait if b=c=d=0 ax^4=0 only has one root, So it isnt true to say...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)