Censorship on school computers (2 Viewers)

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
a lot of sites are blocked on ours... and did you knwo that emails are censored too . even if you are sending it from teh school based one. any swearing will be sent to the office to be read and then checked ...in case of bullying and all tahts sort of stuff..so be careful. i only found that out from a teacher this year

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
We were at school today and the computer wouldn't allow us to search for "gay chihuahua" (I have not idea why we wanted that in the first place) yet we were able to access pictures of slaughtered rabbits and search for "shit". Odd. *shrugs*

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
at our school, it seems that everthing is blocked. lucky that this site isn't blocked. however, all emailing accounts fail, except the school's one.

we have heaps of computers so it doesn't really matter.

not only do they record everything in your logs, but when you log in, they can see what you are doing. like they can see the screen that you see. so watch out.

we use novell. stupid thing is that we have a messaging system with our network. i don't understand why it's banned when it is actually on the computer itself. so come on, what is the harm in using them. heaps of people got banned fromt he computers for two weeks for using the system. its rediculous.

the board of studies can just shove it right back their arse. i can't even send stuff to my email. when i'm trying to do my notes on the computer, and try to find the appropriate images on the internet, it would be almost impossible to find.

they might as well enforce the system that ned flanders uses over his childre. it's so rediculous!!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Hippy La-Laa said:
We were at school today and the computer wouldn't allow us to search for "gay chihuahua" (I have not idea why we wanted that in the first place) yet we were able to access pictures of slaughtered rabbits and search for "shit". Odd. *shrugs*
They're homocaninophobes I tells ya!

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
PaleReflection said:
I was just wondering how restrictive other people's schools computers are.

A lot of people have been whinging about various sites being blocked; well beat this. At my school www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ is blocked. Thats right, the REAL Board of Studies is blocked...............

sunny

meh.
HSC
All those syllabus things are real offensive you know.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Well thats right I guess they were afraid we would try to take our education into our own hands and find out the requirements of the course....................

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
especially the test papers. i heard that you can do questions from the test papers.

watch out! they'll catch you and make you do education stuff...

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
we only have msn and emessenger sites blocked... everything else stays as is.

w00t! 300 posts ... senior member!

PookieMonster

Got bored & left 30/01/05
HSC
this is actually refering to the thread.

at my school. u cant access homestarrunner. cos it contains: humor. it spells it americanised. and it contains: humor.

yer ive seen people access sites containing swords and armour (as in to bid on it, to buy it) and these kids were looking up how to make things explode. go figure.

Moonshadow

~*Almost Here*~
HSC
kelboo said:
Oh - and the most ridiculous thing about the shit computers is that the year 7, 8 and 9 classes get preference over any senior needing to do private research/study!!! Normally there is a class or three in the library, and there is only one period out of a two week cycle that there is no-one using the research computers for SHITTY junior classwork.
We have the same problem as this at our school, except that we have a senior computer room that we are allowed to use in our frees, tutorials etc and teachers are not supposed to book it for this reason. However whenever you actually want to use it, there is always a junior class in there or some teacher comes and kicks you out because they booked it. And this is supposed to be a senior computer room, there is another two that juniors can use, and no one ever books them! The same thing happens in the library, seniors are supposed to get preference but if there's a junior class using the computers you either get kicked off or can't use them.

Anyway, for the topic of the thread, we can use hotmail (and bored of studies thankfully) yet some ridiculus things are blocked by the department of education. Example: the other week I was looking up stuff on the Melbourne Cup and it wouldn't let me look at a site because it was classed as "gambling", but it was only a site with information, nothing else! Go figure!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Moonshadow said:
We have the same problem as this at our school, except that we have a senior computer room that we are allowed to use in our frees, tutorials etc and teachers are not supposed to book it for this reason. However whenever you actually want to use it, there is always a junior class in there or some teacher comes and kicks you out because they booked it. And this is supposed to be a senior computer room, there is another two that juniors can use, and no one ever books them! The same thing happens in the library, seniors are supposed to get preference but if there's a junior class using the computers you either get kicked off or can't use them.

Anyway, for the topic of the thread, we can use hotmail (and bored of studies thankfully) yet some ridiculus things are blocked by the department of education. Example: the other week I was looking up stuff on the Melbourne Cup and it wouldn't let me look at a site because it was classed as "gambling", but it was only a site with information, nothing else! Go figure!
i hate it when bloody junoirs get preference. this is our final year, and we should be able to get first preference over rooms. like i was planning to type my notes for ancient. and for thsoe of you who do anicent, its a lot of work. therefore i found that it would be easier typing them up as i took the notes. and another obvious reason is because i am a fast typer.

they keep getting first preference when there is no need for it!!

!! CaR`JiE !!

cäяяoт ^^'
HSC
y make a big deal abt the censorship on skool computers.. ure not the onli one.. there reasons why they have it, for security and safety reasons for students, yes its pathetic *shrugs* ..so many skool have it, most of us feels the frustration.. BIG DEAL!
my skool blocks this bored of studies site.. no use complaining abt it

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
The site http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=Vermeer+girl+pearl+earring&meta= you have attempted to access has been classified as Model ADULTSEX-Search.
In some instances, it may be possible for a site with educational merit to have been inadvertently blocked.

If you believe http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=Vermeer+girl+pearl+earring&meta= should be unblocked then we advise that you access the following site http://detwww.det.nsw.edu.au/helpdesk/filtering/filtering.html and submit the Internet Filtering Unblock Form.

If you do not intend to request alterations to the filtering list, please use the browser back arrow button or enter a new URL into the browser to leave this pag

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Cactus said:
A lot of people have been whinging about various sites being blocked; well beat this. At my school www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ is blocked. Thats right, the REAL Board of Studies is blocked...............
*wonders how your school submits its HSC and SC marks, gets its HSC and SC results at the end of the year, gets its ELLA and SNAP results and gets all its official paperwork for student requirements , VET/VTAB etc done without access to BOS and hence ebos....*

*wonders real hard*

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
ahh the censoring at our school wasnt too bad - it was departmental side, and there was a whole bunch of p0rn sites which went through it, which was awesome, as well as a heap of abandonware/warez etc. though it did block some things, the loopholes were massive. It was blocking google at one stage too for some unknown reason...

Odourless

HSC
To find proxy servers to bypass all that censorship search in google

?intitle:start.using.cgiproxy?

It should list plenty of them but some dont work and some are very slow....

asscookie

dork.
HSC
Ugh we have this stupid web services bullshit. They have everything wrong. Seriously, at the best of times you might be able to visit about 1/2 the sites you need for educational purposes. That includes google image search. Yet somehow, all the bros have managed to download over 1gig of hiphop and rap on network drives? Ugh, they have everything so wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)