Cellulose (1 Viewer)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Hi,

I have a question for an assignment and am kind of stuck, what things could I discuss?

"Biopolymers have been suggested as an alternative to polymers based on fossil fuels.

Evaluate the use, or potential use of a named recent biopolymer related to its properties and manufacture." (6 marks)

Thanks if you could help me.

danz90

HSC
jm01 said:
Hi,

I have a question for an assignment and am kind of stuck, what things could I discuss?

"Biopolymers have been suggested as an alternative to polymers based on fossil fuels.

Evaluate the use, or potential use of a named recent biopolymer related to its properties and manufacture." (6 marks)

Thanks if you could help me.
I would google some recently developed bipolymers.
Some you could look at are Cyclodextrin and Biopol(Polyhydroxybutyrate-Hydroxyvalerate) .

It asks you to evaluate, so you have to make a qualitative judgement based on the criteria that you provide about the use of a biopolymer (and how the uses relate to the biopolymer's properties), as well as how its manufactured.

A quick run down on Cyclodextrin:

Cyclodextrin is biopolymer manufactured by modifying starches with the enzyme Cyclodextrin Glycosyltransferase. This enzyme is produced by bacteria such as Bacillus macerans and Bacillus circulans.

Cyclodextrin has a toroid (truncated cone) structure. It's outer surface, conisting of alpha-glucose monomers joined together make it quite polar, with branching -OH groups, and thus hydrophillic. The interior of the truncated cone contains many C-H groups, making it substantially less polar than the outer surface, hence making the interior hydrophobic. As a result, Cyclodextrin is successfully used in pharmaceuticals. Non-polar pharmaceutical drugs are lodged inside the non-polar interor, via dispersion forces. This makes non-soluble drugs soluble in the blood plasma (which is 90% water anyway), allowing for effective absorption of pharmaceuticals.

Furthermore, cyclodextrin is used in the manufacture of cholestrol-free foods, as hydrophobic triglyceride molecules are immobilised inside the Cyclodextrin ring, which are then removed from the food, leaving a cholestrol-free food.

And, here's a diagram of the cyclodextrin biopolymer:

Don't copy this into ur assigment lol ;)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Thank you for that..

But my teacher suggested doing it on Cellulose.

I'm just stuck on the bit on WHY we need to use a biopolymer. Obviously it's because fossil fuels are a non renewable resource, but I don't know what makes Cellulose so good..

danz90

HSC
jm01 said:
Thank you for that..

But my teacher suggested doing it on Cellulose.

I'm just stuck on the bit on WHY we need to use a biopolymer. Obviously it's because fossil fuels are a non renewable resource, but I don't know what makes Cellulose so good..
LOL u don't manufacture cellulose, its naturally occuring.
they mean, biopolymers that are manufactured. its a syllabus dot point.

There are heaps of other biopolymers, Cyclodextrin and Biopol are just some suggestions.

If they give u a question like the one u gave me in an exam or HSC, and u talk about cellulose, then big fat zero IMO.

The interesting part about cellulose for an alternative to fossil fuels, is it contains C-C bonds that are present in currently used petrochemicals. However, cellulose, since made up of glucose monomers, contains C-C bonds that are in a ring form. In order for it to be utilised as a petrochemical, the C-C bonds have to be in a straight, linear form.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Yeah but it still needs to be refined/manufactured. They just don't go around getting cellulose out of plants and then selling it in its plain form. It still needs to undergo some sort of treatment, doesn't it?

danz90

HSC
jm01 said:
Yeah but it still needs to be refined/manufactured. They just don't go around getting cellulose out of plants and then selling it in its plain form. It still needs to undergo some sort of treatment, doesn't it?
obviously not.. they extract it from plant material and then clean it and stuff.

but i honestly recommend u not talk about cellulose as a recently developed biopolymer, it won't get u the marks.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Ahh okay, thank you! You're a lifesaver.

I think then I'll talk about polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHA), since my textbook talks about it.

Last edited:

JasonNg1025

HSC
Yeah they're a class of biopolymers... I personally recommend PHB (polyhydroxybutanoate), or biopol. It's much easier to get full marks for the question.

perfected

HSC
Hey, Ive got exactly the same assignment as you have, And Im doing cellulose. Ive found a couple of information about cellulose and currently halfway there.

But can you tell me why is it hard to get full marks When doing cellulose? And should i change my research to Biopol?
And If It is not hard, Can i talk about Cellulosic ethanol?

Thanks
-perfected-

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Which school do you goto?

And yes, my teacher clarified NOT to do cellulose as it's not a recent bipolymer.

perfected

HSC
I go to a Marist school What about you?

Btw, Ive changed my mind after looking at my research more, Ive found out that Its not the best thing to do Cellulose.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)