Cells - worth changing? (1 Viewer)

Ncm

HSC
I've chosen the dry cell and the button cell however I've struggled to provide a detailed answer on 'environmental' impacts.
Is it worth to change just to be safe?

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I've chosen the dry cell and the button cell however I've struggled to provide a detailed answer on 'environmental' impacts.
Is it worth to change just to be safe?
hahah I remember this stage in my life when I was lyk "But Lead acid cell has more"

Haha yeah change it and go with the "lead acid cell" and the "silver oxide button cell" if you want :))

HSC
Yeap, learn the lead-acid cell.

Just in case they ask a question on environments

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Enigma and Faisal, I think OP is talking about a different part of the syllabus to you guys. There's the requirement that we know either the Leclanche or the Lead Acid cell and then, in addition, on of our choosing from a longer list. Easy environmental for you OP, the button cells aren't rechargable and thus have to be regularly thrown away. But I'd say a question on this cell would get you to compare to your other cell, if you've done the Lead Acid cell, you can say that one has a notable environmental impact and contrast that with the relatively environmentally friendly nature of the button cell and that's fine :)

iStudent

HSC
You can talk about how the accumulation of zinc in the batteries (if e.g. too many batteries are disposed) ruin soils etc. I remember an exact hsc question on this (state environment impact of cell). Try looking at their sample answers. I think it was one of 2005, 06, 07. Forgot which.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
@Harrypotterfan, that's not exactly all that the first of those dot points contains

• gather and present information on
the structure and chemistry of a
dry cell or lead-acid cell and
evaluate it in comparison to one
of the following:

- button cell
- fuel cell
- vanadium redox cell
- lithium cell
- liquid junction photovoltaic
device

Like I said, you do lead acid or Leclanche, and then you ALSO have to do another one. I do the lead acid cell and the liquid junction photovoltaic device, OP was doing the silver oxide button cell. You MUST know one of the cells from that list AS WELL as the lead acid/Leclanche though. You could get into the HSC and be asked to compare the two, and if you only did half of this dot point you're screwed.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
yeah haha thats why I wrote (and more) in brackets :)
nws I did both LOL
Oh good, everyone else seems really confused about the fact that OP can't just change to the lead acid cell instead, you have to do one of each :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)