Cells/batteries (1 Viewer)

gadbil

DALAL*****DALAL
HSC
hey guys i have an assignment and i have to gather and present information on the structure and chemistry of a dry cell or lead acid cell … and evaluate it in comparison to…one of the following:
-fuel cell
button cell
vanadium redox cell
lithium cell
liquid junction photovoltaic device

In terms of: – chemistry, – cost and practicality, – impact on society, – environmental impact

What should i choose? what ones would have alot of information on the net about them.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
From my workbook:

Brief description:
A common dry-cell is the Zinc-Carbon battery, also known as the Leclanché cell.

Diagram of cell in words:

The positive electrode consists of a (grahite) carbon rod and the negative electrode consists of a zinc outer casting. Manganese oxide covers the (graphite) carbon rod. A moist paste of ammonium chloride fills between the manganese oxide and zinc casing.

Other notes:

The battery has a cell emf of about 1.5V

The chemical equation for the (overall) reaction is

Zn(s) + 2MnO2(s) + 2H+(aq) --> Zn2+(aq) + Mn2O3(s) + H2O(l)

The carbon rod acts as a conductor, however, hydrogen ions present can cover up the rod and increase internal resistance.
(Resistance is the reduction of electron flow BTW)

Carbon-Zinc cells are highly versatile due to lower-costs and their variety of shapes and sizes
[(Like AAA, AA, C, D ... just like the supermarket ones(Not part of my book)] and are used in alarms, clocks, calculators, flashlights, remote controls, radios and many portable handheld appliances. (Practical applications in blue)

From Excel:

The Daniell cell was very difficult to use because of the electrolytes but, in 1890, Leclanché developed a 'dry cell' which we now use with very little modification in torches, pocket radios, toys and some calculators. It delivers about 1.5V

Half-Cell reactions:

(i) Oxidation reaction at the anode (-ve)

Zn(s) --> Zn2+(aq) + 2e-

(ii) Cathode reaction (+ve)

2MnO2(s) + 2H+(aq) + 2e- --> Mn2O3(s) + H2O(l)

NH4+ ions provide H+ ions needed for cathode process.

NH4+(aq) <--> NH3(aq) + H+(aq)

Overall,

Zn(s) + 2H+(aq) + 2MnO2(s) --> Zn2+(aq) + Mn2O3(s) + H2O(l)

This cell cannot be recharged

NB:

-ve means negative and +ve means positive

gadbil

DALAL*****DALAL
HSC
lol, thanks alot f3nr15 it really helped me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)