Catholicism and Homosexuality (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
you're not a very good catholic if you're not opposed to homosexuality

Kriiszz

HSC
Re: Homosexuality & UND

Thanks enoilgam

you're not a very good catholic if you're not opposed to homosexuality

That's sad you say that.

We could get into this, but to summarise:

1) sexuality is such a small part of a person's identity
2) the extent to which the Catholic Church teaches homosexuality is a sin is exaggerated; it is no more a sim than masturbation or pre-marital sex (all of which have been proven to be NATURAL ACTS. (See The Catechism of The Catholic Church)
3) the Catholic Church was once opposed to feminism because "Woman was made of man", but that changed, didn't it? The church, like everything else, is learning and will continue to do so. Just the other day, the pope spoke about anti-gay discrimination.
4) JESUS was silent on homosexuality; all the ethical teachings come from the Old Testament, along with don't get tattoos, kill women who aren't social because they're witches, don't eat fat off meat and do not play with a pig skin (football, anyone?).
5) Catholicism teaches natural law and to interpret the Bible on your own. I, given the evidence, do not think homosexuality is a sin. The Old Testament was written at a time when homosexuality was used as rape (eg Greek army used it as inauguration) and that is why; also the word for "abomination" when translated from Greek, can also mean "idolatry" (English is a restrictive language) --> homosexuality was not viewed as a loving relationship, as it is in today's society; I have repented and spent a lot of time reflecting and praying. It doesn't change anything.
6) if I am wrong and this somehow all changes when I die, like everyone else, I will ask for forgiveness.

"He who has not sinned may cast the first stone." (John)

In future, please don't try to address major contemporary theological concepts in one sentence.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

Thanks enoilgam

That's sad you say that.

2) the extent to which the Catholic Church teaches homosexuality is a sin is exaggerated; it is no more a sim than masturbation or pre-marital sex (all of which have been proven to be NATURAL ACTS. (See The Catechism of The Catholic Church)
3) the Catholic Church was once opposed to feminism because "Woman was made of man", but that changed, didn't it? The church, like everything else, is learning and will continue to do so. Just the other day, the pope spoke about anti-gay discrimination.
4) JESUS was silent on homosexuality; all the ethical teachings come from the Old Testament, along with don't get tattoos, kill women who aren't social because they're witches, don't eat fat off meat and do not play with a pig skin (football, anyone?).
5) Catholicism teaches natural law and to interpret the Bible on your own. I, given the evidence, do not think homosexuality is a sin. The Old Testament was written at a time when homosexuality was used as rape (eg Greek army used it as inauguration) and that is why; also the word for "abomination" when translated from Greek, can also mean "idolatry" (English is a restrictive language) --> homosexuality was not viewed as a loving relationship, as it is in today's society; I have repented and spent a lot of time reflecting and praying. It doesn't change anything.
6) if I am wrong and this somehow all changes when I die, like everyone else, I will ask for forgiveness.

In future, please don't try to address major contemporary theological concepts in one sentence.
Most of your arguments are wrong/flawed, but regardless, the church will never change its view on homosexuality. It is what it is, immoral.

I understand that you can't really control it, and I'm not trying to offend you, but just relating the idea to biblical truths...

This is all irrespective of the broader idea anyway, Notre Dame won't care. Just go. :)

Frostbitten

HSC

I guess at least the pope is on your side.

effyhate

autism inspector
HSC

what specific [religious] morals is it opposing to make it immoral

effyhate

autism inspector
HSC

haha oh my god science

no srsly answer me, what morals

effyhate

autism inspector
HSC

Yo guys,

So, I don't know if I'm gay, although I'm quite sure.

Nobody knows yet...

But anyways, to the point...

I am a catholic and consider myself one; I have a relatively good school report; I do heaps to help the younger kids at my school; I want to apply to UND for teaching.

However, is the student body and/or staff opposed to homosexuality? Are they discriminative? Will I be treated differently?

This is quite important to me.

Thanks! :)

I should clarify this by saying I think there is much more to a person than their sexuality.

Thanks! :)
my high school was an old catholic school

we had 2 homosexual teaching staff
the male was adored by all for his bubbly personality
the woman wasn't as a well liked because she was a hard-ass but people still liked her (when she wasn't being a bitch)

basically: some catholics are actually normal humans and will use your personality as a basis to decide whether they like you or not rather than just your sexuality
you won't be treated badly be anyone and if you are i can guarantee 90% people will have your back and ostracise the shit out of the homophobe (it's what happened at our school and what happens irl if you're around educated people)

iBibah

HSC

Thanks enoilgam

That's sad you say that.

2) The orientation of being gay is not considered a sin by the Catholic Church however it is the acts. The Catholic Church perceives homosexuality as nothing more than a temptation, just like you may be tempted to hit someone, or tempted to have sex before marriage etc etc.

3) The Pope spoke about how other people, including the pope himself, are in no place to judge homosexuals. He spoke about them being treated fair and equally (inb4 gay marriage) and that it is between them and their God as to how they behave. He didn't show any signs of changing the view of the Catholic Church, only clarified/extended upon current beliefs.

Most of your arguments are wrong/flawed, but regardless, the church will never change its view on homosexuality. It is what it is, immoral.

I understand that you can't really control it, and I'm not trying to offend you, but just relating the idea to biblical truths...

This is all irrespective of the broader idea anyway, Notre Dame won't care. Just go. :)
Being homosexual is not considered immoral by the Church, it is the act. Like I said above, the Church considers it a temptation like any other, its whether you act on the temptation.
my high school was an old catholic school

we had 2 homosexual teaching staff
the male was adored by all for his bubbly personality
the woman wasn't as a well liked because she was a hard-ass but people still liked her (when she wasn't being a bitch)

basically: some catholics are actually normal humans and will use your personality as a basis to decide whether they like you or not rather than just your sexuality
you won't be treated badly be anyone and if you are i can guarantee 90% people will have your back and ostracise the shit out of the homophobe (it's what happened at our school and what happens irl if you're around educated people)
This basically. Most Catholics look straight passed homosexuality (not pun intended), as it really isn't their place to judge (as the Pope said).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

This basically. Most Catholics look straight passed homosexuality (not pun intended), as it really isn't their place to judge (as the Pope said).
Along with the fact that people with their head screwed on straight will realise no one would WANT to be gay with all the flak they get.

Honestly defeats me how people could believe sexuality is a choice.

iBibah

HSC

Along with the fact that people with their head screwed on straight will realise no one would WANT to be gay with all the flak they get.

Honestly defeats me how people could believe sexuality is a choice.
I see what you did there

yahyah123

HSC
But these catholic priests can sexually assault young male children? Talk about hypocritical.

Who gives a fuck if someone is a homosexual aye. They have sex with their significant other differently. No biggie m8s.

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
But these catholic priests can sexually assault young male children? Talk about hypocritical.
Its not right that this has happened in the past. And I don't know anyone personally who would say this is 'okay.'

But I feel any institution that contains children and face-to-face interactions with them will no doubt attract pedophiles. I have no doubt that a v. small amount of teachers, childcare workers, dance instructors etc. are pedophiles as well.

yahyah123

HSC
But I feel any institution that contains children and face-to-face interactions with them will no doubt attract pedophiles. I have no doubt that a v. small amount of teachers, childcare workers, dance instructors etc. are pedophiles as well.
You're definitely right. Sick, twisted people pedophiles are.

However, this thread is somewhat offensive to homosexual individuals who practice the catholic religion.
Unless you actually are GOD (or Kanye West) you can't judge what people have no control over.

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
IIRC, the rate of priests being reported for pedophilia was either equal to or below the observed average outside the Catholic Church.

As lochnessmonsta said, there is no conspiracy which is hiding the reason why the church is having this issue. You have individuals who have pedophilic tendencies recognising that a position in a church could be abused to prey on potential victims. Also you have an institution which lacks the ability to conduct a simple PR exercise and you have a scandal which we have now.

It's clear the Catholic Church believed they were above the law so they did not feel guilt covering up the abuse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)