cathode ray tubes (1 Viewer)

greecke

HSC
in a cathode ray tube, which components focus the beam, control brightness and accelerate electrons along the tube?

A) heating filament
B) electrodes in the electron gun
C) deflection plates or coils
D) Flourescent screen

im sure its C but the answers i have been given says D

am i right???

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
ok nicolas efstathios, hav a think about it.....D? like, wtf?? therefore, the answer is C, but that doesnt make u right

powerhouse

HSC
I thought that was from the CSSA trial and they gave the answer as B when I answered C

speed2

HSC
powerhouse said:
I thought that was from the CSSA trial and they gave the answer as B when I answered C
the answer is (b) as the deflection plates control the position of the beam(X and Y), while the electrodes in the gun accelerate the electrons towards the screen. its not D for sure!

helper

HSC
N/A
The part has to do all three, and the only one that can be said to do all 3 is b.

A may have to do with brightness but has nothing to do with focus.
C has to do with focus but nothing to do with brightness or accelerating.
D has to do with brightness but nothing to do with focusing or accelerating.

B accelerates the charges with the potential difference, focuses by collimating and controls brightness by controlling the energy of the electrons.

jarro_2783

HSC
it's got to be b. c only deflects the electrons to direct them. The screen doesn't do anything except show where the electrons are hitting and the heating filament only releases electrons.

kynanld

It is definitly B.
the electron gun consists of 3 parts.
1. the filament (im not entirely sure but i think it controls brightness via how many electrons are produced... but this is differernt to what helper said so im prolly wrong) *brightness*
2. the negative cap (this has a negative charge and is used to focus and concentrate the beam with repulsive force) *focusing*
3. the anode (this has a positive charge and accelerates the electrons down the tube) *accelerates*

helper

HSC
N/A
Kynald, you probably have expressed it better than me.
The more electrons, the higher the current, the greater the energy supplied by the electron beam.

Abtari

HSC
helper said:
Kynald, you probably have expressed it better than me.
The more electrons, the higher the current, the greater the energy supplied by the electron beam.
a bit off the q, but how does more electrons ensure a greater energy supplied by the electron beam?

serge

HSC
Abtari said:
a bit off the q, but how does more electrons ensure a greater energy supplied by the electron beam?
it doesnt matter does it? isnt this in relation to CROs?
so more electrons is a higher intensity?

helper

HSC
N/A
As each electron hits the screen it passes on a photon of energy to the flourescing object. If you increase the number of electrons, you increase the number of photons, so increase the amount of energy.

Abtari

HSC
electrons are particles...how can they pass on photons....? they possess kinetic energy

helper

HSC
N/A
The KE that is absorbed and transmitted as light, is absorbed by electrons in the flourescing objects. The excitation of these electrons is quantised.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)