Casuals and Redundancy (1 Viewer)

superbird

HSC
Is it possible in exceptional circumstances that casual workers could indeed get redundancy payments?
If so what are the conditions or minimum requirements a casual must have in order to receive redundancy? I think I read somewhere that a casual would have to work a minimum of 3 years to be eligible. I don't know how reliable this source is. Would anybody be able to confirm this for me?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Generally speaking, if you employed as a casual, your work is just that, casual. You are used when they need you, and if they don't need you then you aren't entitled to anything.

Recently there was a piece of legislation being talked about whereby if you had been employed for 3 years continuously as a casual with a certain amount of hours per week, then you would be entitled to a small payout but this isn't yet a law and I think only applied to certain types of occupation (ie not in retail).

chinkyleesa

employed casually means no benefits what so ever.
they're allowed to fire u for no reason, no notice needed n without any preparation at all.

its not really fair.. but yeh, thats wat casual is all about.

no benefits.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
they're not allowed to fire you for no reason, but they can give you no shifts.

J

jhakka

Don't casuals get slightly higer pay because their hours are unpredictable? I suppose it wouldn't be as likely in retail, but I think it happens with teachers.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
jhakka said:
Don't casuals get slightly higer pay because their hours are unpredictable? I suppose it wouldn't be as likely in retail, but I think it happens with teachers.
"Casual Loading"... it's 20 or 25%... don't remember which it is, exactly. Covers unpredictably & no entitlements (ie sick leave, RDO's, etc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)