casual work (1 Viewer)

Durban

hey every one, im a chick from regional nsw(forster) and adter my formal (21st nov) im moving down to sydney. I'm staying with family for a few weeks while i find a place to live and get bond and asll that shit sorted out. Any way looking through the paper I saw heaps of jobs advertisted for travellers or studesnt, casual work in advertising.....the ring today start tommrow type.
Does any one knoe what these jobs actually involve. Also has any one done any tele marketing work...whats it like im cinsidering that for a couple of weeks as well

Sarah J

HSC
Are those the ads in the Herald every week? I actually rang one of those up a few weeks ago and the woman sounded like she was trying to actually sell me the job. lol. I think what they do is the make you do those shopping centre things, where you have to make people sign up to your thingo, or buy something.

Why don't you try getting a job at the supermarket or any stores near where your rellos live. It'd probably be easier, cos the jobs like the one I talked about don't seem all that reliable, and plus you have to go away to do it.

Durban

yah am thinking about doing that, but the thing is i only want to work that job for a couple of weeks then try to get a better full time job around bondi or maybe suburbs like newtown or annandale as thats where i want to end up living (i think) i dont know much about the best suburbs for young people to live in.......got any suggestions?

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
Originally posted by Durban
hey every one, im a chick from regional nsw(forster) and adter my formal (21st nov) im moving down to sydney. I'm staying with family for a few weeks while i find a place to live and get bond and asll that shit sorted out. Any way looking through the paper I saw heaps of jobs advertisted for travellers or studesnt, casual work in advertising.....the ring today start tommrow type.
Does any one knoe what these jobs actually involve. Also has any one done any tele marketing work...whats it like im cinsidering that for a couple of weeks as well

yeah i almost started working at one of those places (advertised in the herald), but i couldnt be bothered to go full time and it sounded dodgy..
you are basically just asked to try and sell products to people, basically going to businesses and asking them to keep using energy australia, or to use it more etc etc..

HOWEVER i think that you may ONLY get paid commission, and thats what i am worried about, because they never actually quoted me an hourly rate, just gave some vague weekly figures.. so yeah....

also, "best places for young people" in sydney.. newtown and annandale are good, there are many young people there, because of the unis, because it is cheap, and yea it is just a young peoples area...

and, with reference to young people, i mean people your age . yea.. i dont know what you're into but newtown is pretty cool, has op shops, 2nd hand CD stores, nice cafes... u know , like that... it often has bands playing there etc.. i dont know what music you are into, but if you like *alternative* (geez i hate that word) newtown will suit you, as with annandale, its fine too .. lots of young peeps..

well best of luck..
by the way, do you intend to go to university?
also, if you are living by yourself and studying you may be eligible for some youth benefits so i'd look into that too...

ciao :D

Durban

wow, thanx for you help!!!!
my parents warned me about those commision based things, plus im not exactly an extrovert so i wouldnt seel much.........therefor i would make hardly anything haha

yeh im planning to go to uni, but i will defer for a year, i dont know what it is but i feel way to young to go to uni......plus im unsure that the marks i get witll get me into the courses i want to do.

once again thanx for being so helpfull!

schwang_thang

Re: Re: casual work

Originally posted by luigi_000

yeah i almost started working at one of those places (advertised in the herald), but i couldnt be bothered to go full time and it sounded dodgy..
you are basically just asked to try and sell products to people, basically going to businesses and asking them to keep using energy australia, or to use it more etc etc..

HOWEVER i think that you may ONLY get paid commission, and thats what i am worried about, because they never actually quoted me an hourly rate, just gave some vague weekly figures.. so yeah....

hey thats the job i was gonna try out 4! wasnt it on 822 george st? n they do aapt smartchat 2 right?
it was hell tryin 2 find the damned place, then the guy tells me that the hrs r 11-9 everyday n 2 top it all off, that its commission paid work. great, ill never make ne money that way...

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
what about a job as one of those people trying to sell those American Express cards that are clear with the blue holographic square in the middle?

It doesn't seem like you'd need much experience or knowledge, they really can't run it on commission, and they must need a lot of them because I see them in every shopping centre I've been in (including my small local one storey shopping mall ~ hardly worth the time? they obviously don't think so)

Dan_the_man

Those jobs advertised in the Herald.. the ring today start tomorrow crap... not good... I went for one... and had to go tag along with a guy who already worked there... this is the description of the job- (what this guy did)

1) Buy fraudulent pensioner day ticket
2) Go to Chatswood
3) Walk around office blocks
4) Go into offices
5) Go into spiel- same one for every person- was i sick of that spiel :mad:
6) Person tells hime to fuck off (In a nice way)
7) HE tries to convince them
8) No good he pisses off

The job was to try and make people joing Save The Children "similar to the sponsor a child but this one you sponsor a whole family"

You only got paid comission and this guy I went with didn't make any sales... but was still confident he'd get some that afternoon... positive thinker

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)