• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Casual or Part-time: Which to choose? (1 Viewer)

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of getting a job and am in the process of searching for one. However, I'm not sure what is better: Casual or part-time. What do most of you guys do for work ? I mean, as far as I know, casual you get higher rate or something and part-time is like...lower rate but guaranteed hours...so I guess wouldn't people prefer part-time over casual as casual jobs might give you no shifts at all ? Thanks!

akrinis

HSC
Casuals do get paid more, but we are not entitled to certain privilleges that Part-timers get, like paid leave. If you decide to go on Holiday, for example. And for casual, how many shifts you get depends mostly on business demands (busy day = more casuals)

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
The nature of casual vs. part-time....

Casual employment is the way to go for most students but as mentioned before, more often than not, you'll be getting inconsistent shifts which defeat the purpose of a high rate when there is not much work in the first place.

Part-time employment will offer you a lower wage but guaranteed shifts which should allow you to work for longer in order to even out the gap between casual and part-time pay. However, for high school students, part-time jobs are hard to handle (let alone get as most employers will just hire someone without your sort of commitments) when you have to study at school as well.

For now, casual employment is your answer. However, if possible, try to work at a place where there are a low number of individuals that have the same job as you. This may equal out to more shifts = more money. This is easier said than done though....

I noticed you finished the HSC this year. If you plan on going to university, then try to study full-time and get a casual job with part-time hours or a part-time job itself. There may be a chance you burn yourself out but it will teach you alot about time management and also give you a bit of cash to mess around with for your uni days.

Last edited:

langlece

HSC
It really depends on you as to what works better, particularly for the workplace.

Casuals are where you don't have set hours or the number of hours for which you work, and therefore get paid casual loading of an extra 20% of the part time or full time wage. However you don't get paid holidays or sick days. You also aren't required to give any notice when quitting, but you probably should to be polite.

Part time means you have a set number of hours and are bound by a contract saying when you do these shifts. You get paid the normal base rate, so without the casual loading. You do get paid holidays, which from memory are also paid at an extra 17.5% or something like that. You also get a number of sick days for which you get paid.

Personally I'm still casual after working 2 years. I've just found it's heaps more flexible and I'm still getting the number of hours that I want. I'm a really busy person, so as they change a lot, I generally won't be rostered on when I have something on, but if I do I'm not contractually obliged to do it :)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
have public holidays off (whilst still getting paid for them too!!)
That's only if you're rostered on to work public holidays though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)