Casual or Part time Job? (1 Viewer)

0Renzokuken0

HSC
I'm currently starting my first year at uni and am also considering getting my first job to be able to pay for daily expenses such as train tickets and food. I was just wondering though which of these two options would be the better one to suit my study timetable?

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say defs part time cos hours are set as opposed to casuals 'randomness'.
Like if you had an assessment you could get it done while taking work into consideration, whereas you just don't know with part time.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Part-time is probably better, as you can fit it in with your timetable. Although, depending on the business, you may be able to choose your hours as a casual, or at least define when your available for work.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
depends on your hours. if you're doing a science type degree with timetabled pracs etc, it will be harder to work part time unless you find a really flexible job, so casual may be more practical. Also you can then reduce your hours around exam time / when you have lots of assignments due.

If your degree is more flexible, with multiple lecture times / lectures available online if you miss them etc, then part time would be better because it'll be more stable.

HSC
Uni Grad
Part-time is probably better, as you can fit it in with your timetable. Although, depending on the business, you may be able to choose your hours as a casual, or at least define when your available for work.
Yeh, fit in with timetable as well is good.
And in those circumstances casual would be good too.

Lydia_88

HSC
agreed with all the above answers. lets say if you have a specific degree with lots of contact hours, then by all means casual hours are the best way to go.

if you have plenty of flexibility in your timetable, then part time is the way to go.

the most important thing is to remember that being a student is your full time occupation.

i work with regular casual hours, however i have only 12 hours of contact classes this coming term.... however i am looking into getting a second casual type job (mainly weekends)....

chefman21

HSC
N/A
Depends on your workload and how well you are going in uni. I'd maybe wait until the next semester if you can, so you can see what your results are like and how many hours you can work while maintaining a good average. Part time is good, though don't work night shift. I used to work at a nightclub and getting home at 6:30am when having uni the next day at 10am really knocked me around.

Bananaberry

HSC
Your workload is first year is generally bigger (I found). I was at uni 4 days a week when I was going, then 3 in 2nd year and then 2 in 3rd year. It's probably better if you do a casual job in the 1st year to see how you handle, and then re-evaluate it in 2nd and 3rd year.

rajputsingh

HSC
Part time would be the best option as you will have a set amount of days when you know you will be working. Casual can just be random and may not suit your uni hours.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
there are plenty of weekend type jobs which are technically "Casual" but have set hours.
I was paid as a casual but worked the same hours (about 12 per week) on weekends for 4 years, which worked well for me since i had about 35 contact hours so couldn't work during the week.

My sister works 30 hours a week (part time) and studies Secondary Teaching at Macquarie - she does most of her lectures online, and still has time to party on the weekends since she doesn't have to work them.

Andi0390

HSC
Casual definitely, higher straight up pay rate (although no sick leave), you can ask for a week or so off near exam week, but with part time you have to work that.

Talk to the people if you go for an interview, thats what interviews are for. Don't just try to get the job to get it, tell them you want a guaranteed 10 hours or whatever a week, and tell them what your availability is. Tell them you are looking for set hours so you can structure your study. Even if they don't usually give set hours they can probably give you a regular shift. People are pretty flexible.

Part time will require more responsibility.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
I work casually on weekends, been getting the same shifts for a solid few years now, and usually work a bit more on vacation.

0Renzokuken0

HSC
Ah ok then thanks for all the replies so far, I really hope I can manage both, yet alone find a part time job.

Peartie

HSC
I worked a part time and a casual job for the first 1.5 years, then for the last year or so I did set days as a casual....

With these jobs it was good because I knew WHEN I would be working and could therefore plan my assessments etc around work...I was also able to get time off for exams and so on....

Lydia_88

HSC
another tip: when you apply or get an interview, be upfront with regards to what hours you have available. You don't want to be working when you have classes on (esp those that are unmissable...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)