casual job /writing resume (1 Viewer)

zinc

HSC
How long is the shortest amount of time possible to be employed at a chemist for a casual/vacation job? Also does anyone know a website which tells you how to write a resume and a cover letter?
thanks

greekgun

HSC
Holy shit. Its not that hard to write a resume. Heres a generic resume i wrote up from yr 10 as homework. I copied and pasted some examples from my current resume so u can get a better idea on what to write.

As far as cover letter, there a millions of cover lettles on the internet. Google it. Show some initiative and find out the name of the person ur sending ur resume to so u can put it on the letter. Shows initiative and all that bullshit that employers like 2 see.

Good luck on your job application.

Last edited:

John0

HSC
Keep the resume to roughly no more than two pages, any more is pushing it imo since alot of recruiters/employers just skim read it. Can you be bothered reading a 4+ page document when you can skim over a well summarised 2 page resume?

In your resume include areas such as education(any qualifications relevant to the position your applying for, plus details on your HSC, university results), extra ciricular actitivities(sports, public speaking membership with some organisations etc) and current employment and previous work experience etc.

Cover letter should be atleast a few paragraphs addressing why your suitable for the job etc, alot of job advertisements give you a set of requirements you should aim to address in the cover letter.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Holy shit. Its not that hard to write a resume. Heres a generic resume i wrote up from yr 10 as homework. I copied and pasted some examples from my current resume so u can get a better idea on what to write.

As far as cover letter, there a millions of cover lettles on the internet. Google it. Show some initiative and find out the name of the person ur sending ur resume to so u can put it on the letter. Shows initiative and all that bullshit that employers like 2 see.

Good luck on your job application.

4 pages for a casual job is too long

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
How long is the shortest amount of time possible to be employed at a chemist for a casual/vacation job?
Probally a day, but I guess if you were really bad, it could be as little as half an hour.

Your resume sucks btw.

John0

HSC
Probally a day, but I guess if you were really bad, it could be as little as half an hour.

Your resume sucks btw.
Wasnt the OP asking how long it takes to find a casual job ie time between applying, interview and actually being offered a job. Not the shortest time before getting fired... lol

Correct me if im wrong though.

zinc

HSC
Thanks everyone. Sorry if i wasnt very clear, what i actually meant was if i can only work for a month or two is it worth applying... are they willing to employ you if you cant stay on for very long? Thanks and sorry about the stupid questions... i just dont know so i thought id ask :)

hannahxxx

HSC
Thanks everyone. Sorry if i wasnt very clear, what i actually meant was if i can only work for a month or two is it worth applying... are they willing to employ you if you cant stay on for very long? Thanks and sorry about the stupid questions... i just dont know so i thought id ask :)
This kind of issue can be tricky. Obviously if they specifically say it is temp/vacation, you know you're safe. Though I would say that as a rule of thumb, unless they specify this, you should assume they are looking for you to stay there a while. The thing is, employers often put resources and time towards training you, and if they know you're only going to be there a short time, they may feel this effort will be wasted, and hence hire someone who is ready to commit to the job. Though if you wanted to be sneaky about it, nothing is stopping you from not disclosing your intentions to only stay 2-3 months. Seeing as with casual work you're generally not locked into a contract, there is nothing to stop you from leaving. Leaving early may or may not affect your chance of getting a good reference from them ( depends on how smart and genuine your excuse is for leaving). You could ask them at the interview if they're willing to take you on for only 2-3months, but as I said most businesses want to know you're going to be there a while so their efforts aren't wasted.

John0

HSC
Zinc, are you attending uni this year or do u have something else planned like a fulltime job or are u travelling? If you're attending university mention this in the interview alot of employers can be very flexible and will often change your working hours to suit your uni timetable. By mentioning this to the employer he or she will put it together pretty quickly that you can only stay fulltime for x amount of months...

zinc

HSC
Yes im going to uni this year. So is it possible to just work uni holidays or will no one want to employ you for only that time? How easy is it to work during term as well?

hannahxxx

HSC
Most retail places I've worked at have been pretty good about increasing my hours during the holidays ( 35hrs p/w), and decreasing them when uni starts ( 15-20 hr p/w). However, I've noticed that people who work longer hours during the uni term sometimes (not always) get priority over others when asking for more hours during the hols.

If you're just doing the normal course load at uni ( 4 first year subjects) having a job is not difficult. Generally people encourage it because it shows other employers at the end of your degree that you can multi-task and manage time well.

John0

HSC
Very few places would employ you just for a month or two but it is still possible. You would defintely be better off finding a casual/ part time job and doing that while youre at uni. As hannah mentioned it shows graduate employers that you have time management and basic skills necessary for any job which is pretty important if you want to get ahead of other students after you graduate.

I worked 16 hours a week last semester while maintaining a GPA over 5 and would still have plenty of time to do what i wanted to do, so it is quite easy to find the work/uni/social balance. Its important that you do find a balance cause ive seen many ppl work 25+ hours with fulltime uni and eventually burn out or simply fail since they cant maintain attendance and finish assessments on time.

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
Very few places would employ you just for a month or two but it is still possible. You would defintely be better off finding a casual/ part time job and doing that while youre at uni. As hannah mentioned it shows graduate employers that you have time management and basic skills necessary for any job which is pretty important if you want to get ahead of other students after you graduate.

I worked 16 hours a week last semester while maintaining a GPA over 5 and would still have plenty of time to do what i wanted to do, so it is quite easy to find the work/uni/social balance. Its important that you do find a balance cause ive seen many ppl work 25+ hours with fulltime uni and eventually burn out or simply fail since they cant maintain attendance and finish assessments on time.
Well, i am gonna need some tips and ideas on how to describe excellent customer service in only 50 words... Anyone wiling to give some ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)