Casual Employment (1 Viewer)

Lukybear

HSC
Can mangers say just not give you any shifts, if your a casually employed? In that your still "hired" by the company, but just not have anys shifts?

greekgun

HSC
Yeah i guess so. But i imagine they would take u off their system after like 1 year of not giving u shifts or something...ask ciel about this stuff she knows shitloads about this type of stuff.

trevolution2518

HSC
They most certainly can, the whole entire point of casual employment is that it is 'casual' there is the potential for a 38 hour week one week and a 4 hour week the next. Also, management doesn't have to give reasons why your shifts are getting cut back, so if they don't like you or you're crap at your job, you won't get any work. It's much easier than terminating you

Hope this helps

haylz234

HSC
i think that as a casual they can pretty much do whatever the hell they want.

i thought there was some form of a rule that each person had to receive a minimum of three hours a week to still be classified as an employee, but maybe thats just the policy of the place i work at.

08er

HSC
yes but i'm pretty sure there's some kind of limit period, i.e. you can't be not called upon for 52 weeks or whatever

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I have always thought that Casuals need to be given at least 4 hours per week. Might be different for maccas work though and probably depends on what kind of collective agreement you sign.

trevolution2518

HSC
Trust me, there is no lower weekly limit for employment to still be considered 'on the books,' however they can 'write you off' them after a certain number of months. To have a lower weekly limit would be impractical and completely negate the whole point of having casuals.

I don't have this on me, but I know most major companies (Woolworths, Coles, KMart) have a big purge of their inactive casual staff and 'write them off' just before the financial year probably for reporting purposes.

HoCo8

HSC
Can mangers say just not give you any shifts, if your a casually employed? In that your still "hired" by the company, but just not have anys shifts?
yes they can. working at jb hifi they didnt give me shifts for close to 2 months i kept checking back with them and they said id get some next week but never did so i just fucked off and got a new job...

Sabbo

HSC
In my experience if your shifts suddenly decrease to zero as a casual there are two likely reasons:

A) Business is really slow and they just can't afford to have too many people on

or

B) They want to get rid of you and make you quit.

I've seen B) a number of times working in retail. It's pretty easy to do to casuals. You might still be on the books but if this is the case there is no point hanging around and you're better of starting to look for another job.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I have always thought that Casuals need to be given at least 4 hours per week. Might be different for maccas work though and probably depends on what kind of collective agreement you sign.
Nah, when you're a casual there is no minimum.

There is only a minimum set when you become temporary part time.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Lol I tried to argue this point with my employer the other day about the law of diminishing marginal returns. My work (Woolworths) just loves to hire people here and there with no thought process, and then put them as casuals with around 8hrs/week. I'm PPT with 20hr/s week minimum, but they do not understand that the marginal cost of hiring workers (induction, training, etc) outweighs not hiring extra employees and just giving less staff more hours.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Woolworths has a policy that casuals require a minimum of 3hrs every 3 months, otherwise store managers get in the shit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)